What does this script do?
For a little more privacy: rewrite YouTube links to point to your favorite Invidious instance. Details on the „why" can be found here.
If you are using the Mouseover Popup Image Viewer (MPIV), here's the rule for the preview image:
Additionally, since version 1.1.0 (2019-09-05) also rewrites Twitter links to Nitter.Net – and starting with v1.2.6 (2020-03-14) also Instagram links to Bibliogram. Since v1.5.0 (2020-11-28) Reddit links can be rewritten to a Teddit instance. Reasoning is the same – and Nitter is to Twitter what Invidio.us is to YouTube, etc.
How to select your preferred instance?
If you don't like the pre-configured one, you can simply change it via the UserScript menu. A list of instances can be found in the Invidious Wiki, another one at instances.invidio.us. Similarly, the Nitter project has a list in its wiki, as does Bibliogram. The userscript menu offers to open those pages in a new tab, next to the one you currently have focused.
If you don't want links for a given service to be rewritten, just set the corresponding instance to an empty string (possible since v1.5.1).
- v1.5.2 (2020-12-09): added possibility to manually trigger rewrite (to cover eg. dynamically loaded content)
- v1.5.1 (2020-11-28): set instance to empty string to disable link rewrite for given service
- v1.5.0 (2020-11-28): add support to rewrite Reddit links to Teddit (@ltGuillaume)
- v1.4.3 (2020-08-04): added option to toggle Invidious proxy state
- v1.4.2 (2020-08-03): switching Inviduous default instance to invidious.snopyta.org as invidio.us is shutting down soon
- v1.4.1 (2020-04-23): Insta2Biblio: honor "/tv/" links
- v1.4.0 (2020-04-16): added support for embedded (YT) videos
- v1.3.2 (2020-03-23): setInstance: filtering hostname from input values (when user e.g. adds a full url instead just the hostname)
- v1.3.1 (2020-03-21): Bibliogram doesn't like trailing slashes (fixed)
- v1.3.0 (2020-03-14): add support to rewrite Instagram links to Bibliogram
- v1.2.5 (2020-03-14): rewrite to also allow setting Nitter instance. If you switched your Invidious instance, you need to set that again (once) as settings structure changed.
- v1.2.4 (2020-02-20): YT: also catch playlist links
- v1.2.3 (2020-01-27): YT: also catch m.youtube.com
- v1.2.2 (2020-01-17): exempt Twitter links on nitter.net from being rewritten
- v1.2.1 (2019-12-06): add menu item to open Invidious Wiki page with list of instances
- v1.2.0 (2019-10-30): rewrite. Now you can set the Invidious instance to be used via menu command, no script edit needed.
- v1.1.2 (2019-10-07): make it easier to switch to your favorite Invidious instance (just change a single variable); make invidious.snopyta.org the default
- v1.1.1 (2019-09-06): do not exclude invidio.us but just ignore YT links there instead
- v1.1.0 (2019-09-05): add Twitter2Nitter
- v1.0.4 (2019-07-27): add update URL
- v1.0.3 (26.07.2019): also deal with YT channels
- v1.0.2 (20.03.2019): excluding Invidious itself from link rewriting so one can follow their YT links if needed
- v1.0.1 (30.11.2018): also cover youtu.be
- v1.0.0 (26.11.2018): initial version