Greasy Fork is available in English.

Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

How to rate a script?

§
Posted: 22-12-2014

How to rate a script?

I see that scripts have ratings (green, yellow, red). But I can't see where to vote my rating.

I see that if you start a new discussion, you can categorize it as green, yellow, red, etc. But looking at scripts' feedback numbers, doesn't match up with their ratings.

§
Posted: 23-12-2014

Start a discussion, give it a rating, just as you describe. The feedback numbers mostly don't match up because green also takes into account people who added the script to favourites.

§
Posted: 23-12-2014

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

§
Posted: 06-01-2015

i was wondering the same too.
should this be added to kind of a FAQ?

§
Posted: 06-01-2015

Which aspect? How to add a rating or how the numbers add up?

§
Posted: 09-01-2015
Edited: 09-01-2015

I'm not sure why this guy's post, which is a feature request, warrants a yellow mark on my script.

https://greasyfork.org/en/forum/discussion/1532/x

I changed my script to basically do what he wanted, and he even responded to thank me, yet the yellow mark still remains.

§

People very rarely go back and change their rating.

§

So I have to beg the guy to change it? lol, that's so lame.

EDIT: I mean back when he posted that, the ratings weren't in effect. He couldn't have known it would affect my script's standing among the others. At least I don't think so. Anyway, it what it is.

§

I do believe rating was in effect in September.

People very rarely go back and change their rating.

People still don't understand they are rating. If script has issues select yellow, and they don't see anything else. Well the script has issues that's why the user is in the feedback section.

The text telling them they are rating is there it just not on the same line and easy to miss.

§

The numbers weren't tallied and displayed in search results, though. That was added in October, AFAIK.

Also, I think the definition of a yellow rating has changed since September, going from "works but needs improvement" to "script works, but has significant issues". If I'm right about that, then I think that old yellow votes from before the change should be tossed out or dealt with in some way (if that's even possible).

§
Posted: 10-01-2015
The text telling them they are rating is there it just not on the same line and easy to miss.

Which text are you referring to, and what is it not on the same line as?

The numbers weren't tallied and displayed in search results, though. That was added in October, AFAIK.

Also, I think the definition of a yellow rating has changed since September, going from "works but needs improvement" to "script works, but has significant issues".

Sounds about right.

I think that old yellow votes from before the change should be tossed out or dealt with in some way (if that's even possible).

I think you're putting too much importance on it. You shouldn't be concerned about any single rating; what matters is the aggregation of ratings. You're at 6/1/0 right now, and I doubt anyone is looking at that 1 and then deciding not to install.

Look at any site with ratings - products, movies, games, whatever. Think of the "best ever" thing in that category. It will have people who don't like it. It's just the nature of ratings systems.

§
Posted: 12-01-2015
Edited: 13-01-2015
Which text are you referring to, and what is it not on the same line as?

The How would you rate this script? text. You really do not notice it. Your eyes automatically focuses on the coloured radio buttons. If you are trying to report a bug, you read OK - script works, but has significant issues or maybe Bad - script doesn't work and without second thought you select it to report that bug, with the intention of getting the author fix it.

Of course once you realise it's a rating system you do not make the mistake again.

§

IMHO the rating system should be separate from discussion thread. Rating should be more like a "Thumb up/down" button.

§

The How would you rate this script? text. You really do not notice it. Your eyes automatically focuses on the coloured radio buttons. If you are trying to report a bug, you read OK - script works, but has significant issues or maybe Bad - script doesn't work and without second thought you select it to report that bug, with the intention of getting the author fix it.

If the script "has significant issues" or "doesn't work", then it should be rated. That's the whole point.

§

IMHO the rating system should be separate from discussion thread.
Rating should be more like a "Thumb up/down" button.

Agree, but this has all been discussed before

§
Posted: 13-01-2015
Edited: 13-01-2015
If the script "has significant issues" or "doesn't work", then it should be rated. That's the whole point

The scripts run on constantly changing sites. The fact sometimes glitches occur in the scripts life is normal. When a user replies his intention was not to rate but to report. Almost non one ever goes to feedback to give a positive review when the script is 100% working. Feedback is only approached when bugs present which is normal in a scripts life cycle, or when asking for a suggestion to be implemented. One only needs to check the feedbacks to realise this. Yellow, means user is reporting a bug, that's the way I see it.

There are three choice Good - Script works well, OK - script works, but has significant issues and Good - script works well. If the users bothers to click anything, it would be OK as he wishes to report a bug. The bug can be minor and insignificant, but it seems the middle of the two.

If the users intentions was to rate and not bug reporting, than that's fair enough. But, rating has nothing to do with script having issues. Rating is how useful the script is to the end user. There are 100% functioning scripts, but are rubbish and worth a bad rating and likewise there are other scripts that are buggy but still get good rating, because they are still useful. Rating does not necessarily correlate with how buggy a script is.

§
Posted: 13-01-2015

I disagree on a few points.

The cause of bugs, whether an error by the author or by a change of the site it affects, is irrelevant to the quality of the script. I sympathize with authors who are hit by changes to the site, but the usefulness of the script to the user is diminished. Good authors will fix the problem promptly, limiting the number of negative bug reports.

How users submit feedback should be geared toward getting an accurate measurement of the quality of the script. Encouraging users to not rate a script that doesn't work, because of sympathy for the author or whatever reason, goes against that goal.

Ratings are definitely correlated with the quality of the script. The fact that there are outliers doesn't mean the correlation isn't there.

Ratings are one measurement of the quality of a script. Every script is playing under the same rules, and the rules are similar to anywhere else that allows ratings. What rating an individual user gives doesn't mean that much, but in aggregate, it's useful.

تسجيل الدخول إلى مرحلة ما بعد الرد.