Twitch - Disable automatic video downscale

Disables the automatic downscaling of Twitch streams while tabbed away

< Feedback on Twitch - Disable automatic video downscale

Question/comment

hvk
§
Posted: 02-02-2023
Edited: 02-02-2023

Hello, I'm using this script since Jan 2020 and everything was OK.

But lately ~3 weeks ago, since Twitch player got updated to: Amazon IVS Player SDK 1.17.0-twitch.1-rc.1 (checked in chrome console) I have problem.

I'm watching usually 4-5 streams in same time in different chrome tabs (ofc 1 is unmuted and others are muted), with your script I can switch between tabs very fast and see what is happening on each stream without buffering/loading or even switching video quality, because everything is playing in background all the time in full available quality.

Since player got updated to 1.17.0 version I noticed that Twitch is stopping playing stream in background if you are not focused on current chrome tab - it's noticable by checking network bandwidth and switching to muted stream tab to see 'loading stream animation' and popping up media buttons (play/volume/stream options/clip/theatre mode/full-screen).

I have easy fix for it, I just need to unmute and mute stream again, then everything gonna be OK, but I would like to know what exactly I need to change in script to work it like before without playing with mute/unmute button.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Open 1 random Twitch stream and mute it (so Twitch will remember to open next stream with muted audio) - do not close the tab
2. Open 1 more random Twitch stream in chrome tab
3. Back to 1st tab
4. Back to 2nd tab and notice that Twitch is loading video just when you switch tab to it and all media buttons will pop up
5. for fix: unmute stream and mute it again, since then you can switch between tabs without this 'loading' issues
6. even if you open 10 chrome tabs with originally muted audio and switch to other tab all streams won't play in background, and your network bandwidth gonna be close to ~5Mb/s

Sign in to post a reply.