}
checktimer=setTimeout(startupdate,2000);
}

function stopautoentry(event) {
clearTimeout(checktimer);
}

§
Posted: 2016-07-24

In my case the script seems to have stopped working. While I'm a C person and not really familiar with javascript, this looked like a valid bug as checktimeout is an unused variable..I did apply the fix manually but the script still doesn't work..

steam_gifterAuthor
§
Posted: 2016-07-31

You'll have to be more specific. What exactly isn't working? What version of the script and what browser? Make sure you're using the latest version of the script in Firefox. Was it ever working? What do you see in your browser console log?

§
Posted: 2016-08-01
Edited: 2016-08-01

You are right. I am sorry for misreporting this in the first place. I assumed there was some change in SG site that broke the script for everyone universally and did not need providing further information. The script has been working flawlessly for months and stopped working correctly at about 2-3 weeks ago.

Setup is FF 47.0.1 with GM 3.8.
Script is setup to autoenter Wishlist, Group and Featured with 0 reserved points.

The behaviour I notice is the script entering very few GAs leaving the majority not entered.

I had not checked the browser console until I read your suggestion and it looks to me as there's some kind of incompatibility with NoScript plugin.

http://pastebin.com/cq2CVzhZ

I have expanded the NS_ERROR_NOT_INITIALIZED: on two occurrences, for visibility, before copy pasting to pastebin.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the only thing that Noscript is blocking on SG is google analytics.

§
Edited: 2016-08-01

Ok upon further investigation the error is caused actually by the blocking of google analytics by NoScript and specifically by the Surrogate Script feature:
See: https://hackademix.net/2009/01/25/surrogate-scripts-vs-google-analytics/

The workaround is to go to about:config, create a new string "noscript.surrogate.ga.exceptions" with value "*.steamgifts.com" and restart Firefox.

Another workaround would be to enable GA only for SG via NoScript's ABE feature, by adding this in the ABE tab:
Site google-analytics.com *.google-analytics.com
Accept from www.steamgifts.com *.steamgifts.com
Deny

The second option is suboptimal for performance+privacy reasons as it would actually allow GA to run.

What I don't know is why this started happening a few weeks now as this particular surrogate script is being used by NoScript for years now.

Perhaps some late commit in this script or some change in SG is causing it? Ideally if there was a way to fix this without using any of the workarounds it would be great. Sadly I can't help any further because like I said I'm a C/C++ programmer and have never worked with JS. I can somewhat read it due to it having similar syntax with C but that's about it. :)

§

Ok, first workaround does not work, it only masks the error in the console log.
The second workaround should in theory work since enabling GA globally does but for some reason it doesn;t. Investigating it and will add when I find out more.

§

Ok, I can not seem to be able to make an ABE rule for it that works. Apparently *.steamgifts.com doesn't cut it. Logic dictates that it needs another source as well but I have no idea how to find it, I'm out of my league here.

Only workaround is to enable GA globally. And that is far from optimal specially for a person like me who constantly has 350+ tabs open in FF..

If this can not be fixed, I would appreciate it if you can tell me what other source I need to add to the ABE rule to have it working properly. Thanks in advance!

§
Posted: 2016-08-02

Ok apparently it's a NoScript issue related to the Surrogate Script and latest dev build fixes it. For anyone else with the same problem: https://noscript.net/getit#devel

§
Posted: 2016-08-02

It stopped working again..so far the only way to keep it working is to enable GA globally :(

§
Posted: 2016-08-07

I am still trying to figure this one out..why the script breaks when GA is blocked while the site functions normally?

Sign in to post a reply.