Linkify Plus Plus

Based on Linkify Plus. Turn plain text URLs into links.

< Feedback on Linkify Plus Plus

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2016-11-27
Edited: 2016-12-06

[RESOLVED] Make dubious TLDs optional by default

Dear @eight, please open some changelog page (e.g. Multipar’s) and watch for false positives as follows:

• Changes from 1.2.9.7 to 1.2.9.8
  • MultiPar1298.zip
eightAuthor
§

You can see the full changelog here. It also automatically sync with GreasyFork. I'm not sure if we need creating new thread for each update.

§

@eight, issue is not about changelog of this script, but about false linkification.

• 1.2.9.7 and 1.2.9.8 are false positives since they are not IPs
  • MultiPar1298.zip is linked as well which is wrong Do you understand now?
eightAuthor
§

1.2.9.7 and 1.2.9.8 The script treat it as an valid IP if there are four integers less than 255 and separated with period. https://github.com/eight04/linkify-plus-plus/blob/master/src/linkify-plus-plus.user.js#L139-L150

MultiPar1298.zip It is a valid domain though it is not registered.

§
Edited: 2016-11-27

Let .zip and some other recently established TLDs mature for a while, a year at least. Since common sense should prevail over fleeting fashion, i.e. .zip stands for compressed files for ages, not domains. Bleeding-edge geeks could have it as an option, turned off by default, right? See also Arstechnica’s article about dubious TLDs.

eightAuthor
§

Sounds good, but we need an up-to-date list to decide which TLD should be removed by default.

We used to use the survey from ISC until v6.2.0: https://greasyfork.org/zh-TW/forum/discussion/5964

§
Posted: 2016-11-28
Edited: 2016-11-28

Support of all known public suffixes is something one could expect from browser like Firefox or Chrome which are obedient intermediaries between crowd and kingpins who pay to mess up the network with dubious and selfish TLDs.

Linkify++ is different, its goal is not to maintain overall connectivity, but to highlight well-trodden routes, while a narrow path into the dense forest is unlikely one, right?

Original top-level and country-coded TLDs are a must, the rest should be added with care and without rush, relying on common sense, relevance and ripeness.

Train of thought example: recently established .zip contradicts the traditional name convention for compressed files so most likely it’s stillborn and shouldn’t be highlighted by default, whereas .aero is already widely used by airports.

In short, cover the basics and watch for feedback rather than jump the gun.

eightAuthor
§

Linkify Plus Plus - An user script which can linkify almost everything. Based on Linkify Plus.

But I agree that there are some useless TLDs that are not in use (e.g. zip). I will add an unpopular top level domain option which acts like ignore list.

I might take this as reference: http://research.domaintools.com/statistics/tld-counts/

§

Right, let’s do it!

eightAuthor
§
Posted: 2016-12-06

Fixed in 7.4.0.

Sign in to post a reply.