AO3: Estimated reading time

Add an estimated reading time to a fic description.

< Feedback on AO3: Estimated reading time

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2019-12-28

Doesn't recognise wpm changes

Hi! I really like the idea of this script and it's working in general, but while I can edit the script itself and I can change both the wpm ratio and the minute counts for the colours, it only seems to go through for the latter. I can change the wpm ratio even to something ridiculous like 2, and it still doesn't change what it shows on ao3. Is there something I could do, or could this be a general problem?

§
Posted: 2020-01-25

@KiralyDetti6 said: Hi! I really like the idea of this script and it's working in general, but while I can edit the script itself and I can change both the wpm ratio and the minute counts for the colours, it only seems to go through for the latter. I can change the wpm ratio even to something ridiculous like 2, and it still doesn't change what it shows on ao3. Is there something I could do, or could this be a general problem?

Hey, I found the solution to this! If you look carefully in the script there are TWO places where the number "250" appears. You need to edit them BOTH in order to get the wpm to update and show the correct reading time!

§
Posted: 2020-03-19

@thegeminisage said:

@KiralyDetti6 said: Hi! I really like the idea of this script and it's working in general, but while I can edit the script itself and I can change both the wpm ratio and the minute counts for the colours, it only seems to go through for the latter. I can change the wpm ratio even to something ridiculous like 2, and it still doesn't change what it shows on ao3. Is there something I could do, or could this be a general problem?

Hey, I found the solution to this! If you look carefully in the script there are TWO places where the number "250" appears. You need to edit them BOTH in order to get the wpm to update and show the correct reading time!

Hi!

I really appreciate you looking into this, thank you! Unfortunately, I tried changing both and it still doesn't work. If you (or someone else) can think of anything else I could try, please let me know, I would really like this to work. Thank you!

§
Posted: 2020-06-16

Hi! I had the same issue and I managed to fix it by doing the following.

Go to line 117 and change the code so it reads: var minutes = words_count/wpm;

then go back to line 19 and adjust wpm to equal whatever number you like.

If your reading speed changes at any point afterwards you only need to adjust the number in line 19, nowhere else.

Sign in to post a reply.