MangaUpdates chapter links

Allows to add direct links to chapters in MangaUpdates release lists

< Feedback on MangaUpdates chapter links

Question/comment

agregAuthor
§
Posted: 2019-11-24

Data sharing (what the export/import feature is for)

The v0.2 release is meant to improve the usefulness of this userscript; from now on, only one user needs to make the effort of going through release history of a translator/scanlator group, after which he can simply share it with others – thus reducing their effort to a click of a button!

As I mentioned in the new version of the userscript descriptioin, there are three ways one can go about exporting data: do it for one group (regular way), for one series of a group (probably won't be useful all things considered but whatever), or do a full backup (multiple groups in one file). Since the format is always the same, you can also put together custom group sets either by merging group files or by removing others from the full export (just make sure to keep correct commas; JSON parsers are very demanding about that).

How exactly to go about sharing these files is up to the users. One option would be to make a dedicated thread in MangaUpdates forums and share configs there. Another is to do it right here, in the userscript discussions. Either way, I'm providing you with an example as well as some explanation regarding its contents.

As an example, I've completed data for a specific group and put it on Pastebin ↪. Yes, that's the same group as in sample screenshots. No, I'm not advertising it :)

The format (if anyone cares about it) goes like this:

{
  "<mangaupdates-group-id>": {
    "url": "<url-template>",
    "titles": {
      "<mangaupdates-title-id>": "<title-id>"
    }
  }
}

with commas separating multiple items on the same level.

One thing you may notice is that the URL template doesn't match the one in screenshots (more specifically, the / between #{title} and #{chapter} is missing). That is because the chapter URLs on their website have quite an unstable URL scheme, changing arbitrarily between series; thus, the / was moved inside the title IDs, sometimes followed by chapter- or even something more uncommon like turn- or session-. This was done to maximize the number of titles that have working chapter links.

Another thing is that some title IDs end with # (or /# but the difference is not critical for the browser). As I mentioned in the userscript description, it makes the browser effectively ignore the rest of the URL. The reason for doing so is, again, the unstable URL scheme; in most such cases here, the chapter URLs for these series include the full chapter title for some reason (in a slugified form). There's also cases of chapter links causing errors (because there's a chapter 5.5 but no chapter 5) for which I decided to have title URL instead, and one case of a oneshot (apparently) which instead of a chapter number has the slugified series name (that's where I put # instead of /# as a sign that it's a direct chapter link… adopt this approach or ignore it if you like).

Finally, if you download ↪ the file, import it, and go through the group releases page yourself, you may notice that a few of the titles don't have an ID set up (and thus no chapter links). While it's true that I could've missed one or two, most of these have a better reason for that. Kill the King, for example, doesn't have a MangaUpdates page at the moment, thus no ID is available. Other series, like King Golf, have two groups linked to their releases, and the release is considered to belong to first group in such a list. And other series yet, I simply failed to find on the scanlators' site; either because it's hidden better than I sought (unknow title or maybe I need to log in to see it?), or because it's not there in the first place (taken down, or it was never there and someone registered the release by mistake, IDK).

§
Posted: 2020-06-20

Has there been an decently-complete export by a user in the last 6 months?

§
Posted: 2020-11-05

Could put a file up on GitHub or something and let people submit changes.

Sign in to post a reply.