Youtube - Fix channel links in sidebar recommendations

Fixes the channel links for the "Up next" and recommended videos below it on youtube.

< Feedback on Youtube - Fix channel links in sidebar recommendations

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2022-08-19

Hello,

It's possible to have these options for the right click shown as screenshots please ?

Otherwise, your script is superb and it has been a problem for years not to be able to access at the channels on the right of the video directly.

Thank you for your answer.

Google Chrome Browser with Tampermonkey

1N07Author
§
Posted: 2022-08-26

TLDR:
Not easily enough that I want to put in the work required. It's not as simple as it seems because of the really hacky way this script works.

Long answer:
The link to the channel does not exist on the page. It needs to be loaded from the recommended video's page. Currently, the script fetches the link when the channel name is clicked and sends you to that page when it has the link. For the right-click menu option you want to work, the link needs to be there when right click is pressed. There are possible workarounds, but most of them would require a lot of work and have some downsides.
I do have one idea that's not too bad that I might try at some point, but don't hold your breath.

§
Posted: 2022-08-26

Hello,

Okay, I understand and thank you very much for the explanations.

§
Posted: 2024-01-15

Hello,

The script doesn't work anymore on my side and on your side it still works ?

The channel name is no longer highlighted and clickable like the screenshot shows.

Tested on Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox

1N07Author
§
Posted: 2024-01-16

I don't know why it wouldn't work. It's working fine on my end using latest version of Firefox + Tampermonkey. Are you using something other than Tampermonkey for scripts? That might be the issue. Are you seeing any errors in the console?

Also, I just updated the script and due to a change in how the script gets the channel url, the channel links are now proper links with all the features of a normal link. i.e. the original issue you mentioned in this "Review".

1N07Author
§
Posted: 2024-01-16

I just added compatibility tags to the script. You can see them on the script page now, but basically:
Firefox is compatible with: Tampermonkey, Violentmonkey
Firefox is NOT compatible with: Greasemonkey, FireMonkey
Other browsers not tested with the latest version, but likely at least Tampermonkey should work.

§
Posted: 2024-01-17

After hours of tests :

I tested on Chrome 109 and Firefox 115.6.0 with Tampermonkey and it's the same result :-(

Unfortunately, your script has an incompatibility problem with Tampermonkey because I've disabled all scripts except yours and it still doesn't work like the screenshot shows :-(

However, I tested on Chrome with Violentmonkey especially for test (Tampermonkey disable) and it works very well like the screenshot shows.

This is Tampermonkey that I use and Violentmonkey is for testing.

§

Supplements : Chrome with Violentmonkey
- While connected on YouTube, it works
- While disconnected or in incognito mode on YouTube, it doesn't work

On the other hand, I don't see anything in the console... There are errors in red, but not with your script...

Where and what do you want me to find in the console to help you ?

1N07Author
§

That is weird. I really don't know why it wouldn't work, but the fact that being signed in or not affects it is at least something to go on. I'll look into it later today

§

Maybe the YouTube layout is only different for me, but these last days the player video control bar layout while connected is different from the player video control bar layout while disconnected or in incognito mode due to the continuous change of YouTube :-(
Some scripts still appear and work while connected but all the scripts appear and work while disconnected or in incognito mode since December 2023 on my side...

§

While connected and even the design of the volume button is a little different :

§

While disconnected or in incognito mode :

1N07Author
§

The volume icons are the same, it's just that in the first image you have the volume set to low, so it changes the icon slightly.

But I can also see that you have one or more customizations applied. Please temporarily disable all userscripts AND ADDONS that affect youtube. Just so we can rule out conflicts with those.

1N07Author
§
Edited: 2024-01-17

Okay I made an update that I'm hoping fixed it.
Turns out when not signed in, youtube uses different classnames for the videos for some reason...

Also, I tested it on chrome and all its userscript managers. You can see the results in the compatibility tags on the script page. TLDR; Tampermonkey and Violentmonkey works.

§

Sorry about the volume button, because I see so many small and big changes lately on YouTube that I can forget some details lol...

Otherwise, your script works now with Tampermonkey but sometimes you have to point the mouse over the video title to display the channel name and for other videos, this is the normal behavior connected or disconnected on my side like the screenshots show.

It's very great to have the normal link now :-)

Thank you very much ;-)

1N07Author
§

The wrong positioning for the link is a known problem, but it only happens like .1% of the time on my end so it's difficult to diagnose. Though I sort of think I know what causes it...

I'll try to look into fixing it at some point.

§
Posted: 2024-01-18

Okay, I understand and no problem.

Thanks a lot again ;-)

Sign in to post a reply.