March 2020 - Google is blocking this script from working.
Google has severely limited the amount of data requests we can make, effectively killing this plugin. I can't even run it for just myself, let alone for the hundreds who had been using it. We're basically done here, sorry. I have disabled the script from doing anything to waste CPU or bandwidth in case people have forgotten they have it installed.
October 2020 - Signs of life?
I've been messing around with my script again just because I miss having it. I'm testing a buggy alpha version which saves the data (views, likes, dislikes) for each thumbnail into a local database, which is then used to keep data requests down to a minimum. Currently the max amount of requests per day YouTube allows is 10,000 and I'm now able to keep my own average requests down to around 2,000 on days where I'm spending hours on YouTube. Obviously that's more than enough headroom for me as a singular user, but it would max out as soon as more than 5 people installed it who use YouTube as much or more than I do.
This means that if I'm going to release this script publicly again, I'm going to have to force everyone to create their own YouTube API keys
so they can plug them into the script. Unfortunately, Google/YouTube doesn't have a really simple way for non-technical users to do that, so I'd have to walk people through all the steps, including people who may not be tech literate or speak English. I haven't even thought about how best to go about doing that, but it may involve posting a video or detailed screenshots. Anyway, I'm not anywhere near that point right now, the code is still buggy and in the testing stages, plus I have a day job which has been taking up a lot of time lately.
Alright, that's the update for the 3 or 4 people who somehow find their way to this page.
Below is all the old information from back when this script was still in operation.
This script places a ratings bar beneath video thumbnails and it indicates the enthusiasm viewers have for
videos with an additional blue bar. This blue "Power Meter" is based on the ratio of 'Likes' and total views.
In other words, it gives you an idea of how often people have hit the 'Like' button instead doing nothing or
hitting 'Dislike'. Even a list of videos that all have 100% 'Likes' will have different Power Meter scores,
pointing out the cream of the crop.
If you want to customize the thickness of the bar, the colors, the animations, or put the bar above the
thumbnails, check out this UserStyle:http://userstyles.org/styles/102386/youtube-ratings-bar-with-power-meter-userscript
If you want detailed information about the ratings or want a better look at the ratings bar, hover over the
thumbnail. The blue number is the Power Meter score out of 100. This is followed by the number of likes
and dislikes in green and red.
This is a not-too-common case when the Power Meter is larger than the green 'Likes' bar. This can happen
when the subject of a video is controversial and people are spamming 'Dislike' as a response to the
controversy rather than the objective quality of the video itself. The Power Meter acts as a filter in these
cases, helping you find the best videos about unpopular subjects.
The Power Meter needs an accurate view count to work. If the script can't make sense of the view count YouTube
provides (more votes than views), then the bar will have green/yellow stripes and say "View Count Error".
In case you load a YouTube page and the ratings don't show up immediately, just scroll down the page. Whenever you scroll down or up, the script will re-evaluate the situation and try to get missing information from YouTube and display it for you as soon as it gets it.
I'm not asking for donations for this script. This is something I made for myself and have decided to make available to you because I think you may enjoy it. If you find it useful, then please consider giving the script a positive rating.
- v2017.09.14 - Places a Ratings Bar below video player by the view count.
- v2017.07.05 - Fix for YouTube's new animated thumbnails.
- v2016.09.29.2 - Makes YouTube's "resume bar" orange (#D29713). Can change on UserStyles page.
- v2016.09.29 - Puts YouTube's new "resume bar" up top, out of the way.
- v2016.08.05 - Re-enabling bars for "video wall".
- v2016.04.02 - Dealing with some crap Tampermonkey decided to introduce out of the blue.
- v2016.03.05 - Simplify vote tallies [1,395,419 = "1.4m"]. No more "-0/+0" messages or parentheses.
- v2016.03.02 - Moved popup mode button in YouTube+
- v2016.02.12 - Hover over the Fullscreen button after the video plays and ratings bars will appear on the "video wall" thumbnails.
- v2015.12.20.a - YouTube Plus buttons won't block the bars. Updated the UserStyle as well, in case you use top mode.
- v2015.12.20 - Needed to refresh for bars to show up on some pages.
- v2015.12.04 - Added support for new Trending section
- v2015.10.19 - New YouTube changes were causing "NaN" messages
- v2015.08.05 - YouTube got rid of 301+, so no point in detecting it anymore
- v2015.01.10 - Another fix for the recent YouTube changes
- v2015.01.09.a - Fix for thumbnail times in suggestion list
- v2015.01.09 - Fix for latest changes to YouTube
- v2014.09.20 - Bars are visible in playlist windows alongside player
- v2014.07.15 - Upgraded to YouTube API v3
- v2014.07.14.b - text fades in when hovering thumbnails instead (works better, can be changed with the UserStyle)
- v2014.07.14.a - overlapping text
- v2014.07.14 - text fades in when hovering over bars. (can be changed with the UserStyle)
- v2014.07.10 - More adjustments for text labels.
- v2014.07.09 - Fixed text label placement and size.
- v2014.07.07 - Cleaner, minimal design. Lots of performance tweaks.
- v2014.07.04.a - Thinner stripes
- v2014.07.04 - Transparent stripes, tweaked animations, simplified UserStyle
- v2014.07.02 - YouTube changed some spans to divs, needed to adjust accordingly
- v2014.06.30 - 'Watched' thumbnails would move 1 pixel while fading in/out. Now using a workaround (this was a browser bug).
- v2014.06.29.a - Sped up the fading animation on 'watched' thumbnails. Made pausedBar shorter on hover.
- v2014.06.29 - Animations, text labels, gradient stripes instead of borders, bug fixes.
- v2014.06.15 - Slight color tweak, added icon and license link
- v2014.06.11 - Public
- Short term
- [DONE] Place Power Meter below video player by the view count
- [DONE] Place Power Meters in video end screens
- Longer term