I have a gigantic 16:9 widescreen display and got fed up with tracking story texts on fanfiction.net over the whole screen width, so I started using fanfiction.net's story width feature to half the text width.
This sort-of-fixed the problem, but I was annoyed by the fact that the text containing element is centered instead of starting on the left side of the screen, as it eats up screen estate and makes tracking the text harder. Thus came along this script.
Credits to Glenjamin for coming up with the code for it!
Updated 2010-08-24: Added fictionpress.com to the included sites as it uses the same engine as fanfiction.net and added an exception for the mobile version of those sites.
Description update 2010-11-08: I'm an idiot. I have no idea why I wrote "fictionwise" instead of "fictionpress" in the description. The script was coded correctly though.
Update 2012-02-02: Updated for Scriptish support. Who the fuck thought that removing choice from the end user was a good idea? Now I have to hack all my scripts with @priority added in. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Update 2012-10-03: This script is semi-broken and has been for a while due to a ff.net redesign. It still does what it's supposed to do, but unfortunately the div that contains the story does not span the whole screen anymore, making the fix sort of useless.
I'm trying to come up with a solution.
Update 2012-10-03 #2: I have come up with a solution. The script now requires Scriptish and WILL NOT WORK with Greasmonkey. Added benefit: It's now auto-updating, in case anything like this happens again. Thanks to GhostFreeman and mr_daemon for the help!
Update 2012-10-03 #3: Changed from using auto width to using 99% width to work around some potential issues.
Update 2013-06-30: Firefox updates & further changes to ff.net have forced me the increase the delay built into the script. :/ If anyone has a better idea for solving this, I'm all ears. Trying to use $(window).load() from jQuery didn't help at all, unfortunately. Also changed to using 99.99% width to make it look a tiny bit better.
Update 2014-06-02: Userscripts.org is broken, moving to greasyfork.org