Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Am I allowed to post Demo version for a game mod and then put a download link for the Full version in the mod?

§
Posted: 2022-12-20

There is this posted script rule which reads:

• Posting of alternate download URLs, with the intent of having users use the alternate sources instead of the version posted to Greasy Fork, is not allowed.

How does this rule interact with Demonstration versions of game mods? I cannot put the Full version of the mod on Greasyfork but Greasyfork is also where lots of people get game mods for .io games.

§
Posted: 2022-12-21

Why can't you put the full version on Greasy Fork?

§
Posted: 2022-12-22

Why can't you put the full version on Greasy Fork?

Anyone can report it at any time and basically shut down the script until a mod looks at the report. (Which has happened to me and a friend before and it took multiple days until a mod saw the reports.)

I have lots of features that I am proud of and that I don't want stolen by others.

I cannot use a client loader because it's against the rules so I would need to manually update the script every time, which gets incredibly inconvenient when I upload it to many different userscript websites at once.

§
Posted: 2022-12-22

Not every report shuts down the script - only reports from those with a proven track report of true (as decided by mods) reports. In addition, most reports will not be handled by mods until the author replies to it or 3 days pass. So if this happens, best thing you can do is reply to get it cleared quickly.

But to answer your question - no, you can't post a demo version and link to the full version. We're not here to advertise your stuff.

§
Posted: 2022-12-24

Oh well, but thank you for your help!

Sign in to post a reply.