Deleted user 737702
§
Posted: 2022-01-10

What is the meaning behind update checks? I never really understood it. What's it mean if you have a a lot of update checks on a certain script? Is it a good or bad thing?

§
Edited: 2022-01-10

It means that either a user manually triggered a update request using tampermonkey (or a similar extension) and your script is being used by them, (or on their disabled scripts list), or that Tampermonkey (or a similar extension) auto trigged the update check and greasyfork counts that.

It usually means the real number and amount of users your script actually has, so it's a good meaning, although it can not really show the real amount of total users your script actually has, since users can disable auto update checks on tampermonkey or a similar extension, and if the user ever manually modifies your script code, tampemonkey will stop auto looking for updates for that script, so although a user can have your script installed and enabled or disabled, if the user does not manually trigger the update checking tool, greasyfork will not show/count that user until the user manually triggers the update on his script manager extension.

I think that by default Tampermonkey does not auto trigger update checks for disabled scripts, but it can be changed in it's settings.

Deleted user 737702
§

Thanks for your answer, it makes sense now. 🙏

§
Edited: 2022-01-10

You are welcome!

For example: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/421789-cookie-clicker-cheat-console-dev-panel

As of 2022-01-08 only 347 people either manually or auto trigged an update check on that script, so if you update the script on that day or before that day the script extension manager will update the script to the latest version you released, in case the user has an older version installed.

So, although your script has a Total install of 6,347 people, technically only (as of 2022-01-08) 347 people are using your script (but as I said this number isn't 100% reliable).

Sign in to post a reply.