Display hidden text or HTML comments on geocache pages.
Display hidden text or HTML comments. Great for help on puzzle caches.
This script is a reworking of Chuck Denz's GCHiddenText. Chuck hasn't updated his script since 2011 and subsequent changes to the site have stopped it working. Since it was a popular and useful script, I have revived it so we can continue using it. All credit for the original should go to Chuck.
Chuck's original description:
"Shows a button to click if there is any "white" text on the page or if user has entered in comments in the HTML. Useful for puzzle caches for a quick check for hints or puzzles. I found my self constantly looking for hidden text on puzzle caches for more help and so I decided to create a script for a quick check rather than doing the search my self each time.
If you come across a Geocache that uses hidden text and my script doesn't pick it up please send me the GC # and I'll try to add it.
I made a small edit part on the top of the code for user settings. You can adjust to what color scheme you prefer (if you don't like my red/white and green/white settings)."
If you find any caches where the script fails, please provide the details and I'll endeavour to get it working.
- Updated to work on the latest cache pages.
- Created a GitHub repo to manage updates through GreasyFork.
- Started a new life at Greasyfork.
- Removed the USO updater, as it was dead.
- The GeoKrety widget header change didn't make it live in V2.
- Prevented the GeoKrety widget header being detected as hidden text.
- Added updater.
- Changed back to Chuck's namespace.
- The GC site had been changed so the include paths no longer worked.
- Incorporated my update for hidden divs, previously provided on the original script's discussion page.
- Incremented the version number to 2 for clarity.
History prior to V2, from Chuck's original page
v### 1.3 3/1/11
- fix: Sometimes the Show Hidden Text button would show when no hidden text was present, updated method of checking
- fix: Added to recognize new GC cache page address
- new: Finds words, hex and rgb values in white text
- new: Changed to only highlight words and not the whole page
- fix: Updated code to be more sufficient/effective
- new: Updated to catch white text if use style/font formatting
- fix: Updated error if no Short/Long Description is on the page
*If you have previous version please uninstall before loading new version
- new:Added auto updater
- new: Updated to be able to show/hide hidden text
- new: updated section of code so user can easily change text/background colors to their preference
- new: Initial Release (Still testing a couple of options)
- I plan to look at making the colour selections configurable when time permits.