Greasy Fork is available in English.

YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD

Buffers the video without autoplaying and puts it in HD if the option is on. For Firefox, Opera, & Chrome

< Feedback op YouTube Auto Buffer & Auto HD

Vraag/Reactie

§
Geplaatst: 30-04-2015

Script stopped working on 37.0.2

Updated firefox to 37.0.2 on april 21st, the script was working fine till today now youtube just ignores everything setup in the script.

Could this be youtube bug?

§
Geplaatst: 01-05-2015

Yup, the Firefox update has forced the HTML5 player on YouTube again and the script doesn't work on HTML5 video, so the script is currently broken, possibly dead unless Joe can get it working for the HTML5 player

JoeSimmonsMaker
§
Geplaatst: 01-05-2015

The beta version is working atm. Not for Chrome, gotta find time to fix that.

§
Geplaatst: 02-05-2015
Bijgewerkt: 02-05-2015

Okay, this may be related. A day or two ago Google switched their server code so that Firefox is forced to use HTML5 by default (believe Chrome users were forced before this). You can no longer use Flash Player with no HTML5 without using a script or extension to switch back to Flash.

I thought it may be a Firefox bug, but it's not. I filed a bug with Mozilla, and the response is here:

http://doropie.com/files/flash_player_bug.pdf

It's something that has been changed on Google's side.

The problem with this is that the extensions/addons suggested are INCOMPATIBLE with the Auto HD YouTube script.

With the extension installed, Flash Player is used, but auto-pause and other features are broken. Seems the Auto HD YouTube user script will need to be modified so that it uses Flash Player again.

At least we know who's at fault. Not Adobe, Not Mozilla, but Google at fault.

§
Geplaatst: 02-05-2015

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube-high-definition/?src=userprofile

This plugin supports disabling annotations for HTML5 player. I like Flash Player, but thought this would be useful to you.

§
Geplaatst: 04-05-2015

Awesome, thanks for the beta link Joe, and thanks a lot for keeping this script going. You don't realise how much you rely on a script till it's gone and YouTube has been driving me mad without the scripts auto pause function. Beta installed and all is well with the world again :-)

§
Geplaatst: 05-05-2015
Awesome, thanks for the beta link Joe, and thanks a lot for keeping this script going. You don't realise how much you rely on a script till it's gone and YouTube has been driving me mad without the scripts auto pause function. Beta installed and all is well with the world again :-)

Glad you came right. On my mom's PC, YouTube videos lag terribly because Firefox HTML5 video player doesn't use hardware acceleration, Flash does.

Joe, can't you turn your script into a Mozilla/Chrome addon, that way we can "Contribute" so you get cash for your work.

You'll also get more hits, greasyfork.org vs. Mozilla and Chrome online is not even a comparison.

I've tested all the other scripts and extensions for Firefox, and yours wipes the floor with them.

§
Geplaatst: 06-05-2015

Yeah, drifting off topic, but I'm not a fan of the HTML player as it currently is. I have a well specced computer yet videos still have a habit of being stuttery/laggy, it certainly doesn't seem to like you having more than one video tab open. Also seems to have a few intermittent bugs (eg audio sometimes keeps playing after a video is paused).

JoeSimmonsMaker
§
Geplaatst: 09-05-2015
Bijgewerkt: 12-05-2015
This plugin supports disabling annotations for HTML5 player. I like Flash Player, but thought this would be useful to you.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

A day or two ago Google switched their server code so that Firefox is forced to use HTML5 by default (believe Chrome users were forced before this). You can no longer use Flash Player with no HTML5 without using a script or extension to switch back to Flash.

Yeah, that has been their plan for a while with the beta.
And although your statement about not being able to use the Flash player (without modification) is true, I've come across 1 or 2 videos that used Flash for some reason. Probably just some incompatibility.

On my mom's PC, YouTube videos lag terribly because Firefox HTML5 video player doesn't use hardware acceleration, Flash does.

The HTML5 player should use acceleration if it's enabled in your Firefox settings ("Use hardware acceleration when available" in Tools > Options > Advanced > General).
It still won't perform as well as Flash, though, but it doesn't mean it's not accelerated. If you see your GPU usage go up when playing a video (MSI Afterburner), it's fine. It's just slower than Flash, but much more compatible with other devices (mobile, linux, etc).

EDIT: Set the Firefox preference "media.mediasource.webm.enabled" to false. That will disallow YouTube videos from using the VP9 codec. It helped my laptop quite a bit. Also, if you have an Intel chip, try setting "media.webm.intel_decoder.enabled" to true. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but it could help.

Joe, can't you turn your script into a Mozilla/Chrome addon, that way we can "Contribute" so you get cash for your work.

It's not easy to make it an add-on. I have no expereience in them, anyway. Arantius does have a converter, but it's over a year old and I have no clue if it still works; plus I'd have to convert it on each update of the script even if it did.
It'd be easier just to donate to my PayPal. The less things to update, the better for me.

I've tested all the other scripts and extensions for Firefox, and yours wipes the floor with them.

Well, thank you sir. I do my best, even if it's not as often as I'd like. I still need to go through it on Chrome so I can push an official update.

Yeah, drifting off topic, but I'm not a fan of the HTML player as it currently is. I have a well specced computer yet videos still have a habit of being stuttery/laggy, it certainly doesn't seem to like you having more than one video tab open. Also seems to have a few intermittent bugs (eg audio sometimes keeps playing after a video is paused).

Yeah, my old laptop has trouble playing HTML5 video in 720p, but no trouble doing 1080p in Flash (slow cpu, mainly is the issue).

§
Geplaatst: 27-05-2015

Hi. Sorry, Internet was down for a week. Almost had to go to rehab but it's back on again now. :) Tried enabling the Intel hardware acceleration and made sure "try use hardware" acceleration was enabled. Also tried the other setting. Flash player still plays better. Seems to be highly optimized. Thanks for the suggestions.

Understand making a plugin may take a bit of time, but you'll get many more people finding and using it than on GreasyFork. More people, more contributions. Seen 200,000+ installs for basic/lame plugins, so yours would do excellent!

I'm busy learning JavaScript, CSS and HTML. May be able to assist in future.

Thanks for the reply! Will wait till your script forces Flash, for my and mom's PC.

Reactie plaatsen