Greasy Fork is available in English.

w4tchdoge's AO3 Bookmark Maker

Modified/Forked from "Ellililunch AO3 Bookmark Maker" (https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/458631). Script is out-of-the-box setup to automatically add title, author, status, summary, and last read date to the description in an "collapsible" section so as to not clutter the bookmark.

< Feedback on w4tchdoge's AO3 Bookmark Maker

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 21.05.2024

First, Great script that has made organising and adding notes to my bookmarks so much easier. Took me a little while to get everything set-up so that I was happy with the formatting, that was mostly because I know next to nothing about coding, but definitely doable with enough patience.

Second, I was wondering if it would be possible to pull relationship tags on from the series pages like it does for individual works?

Third, can the script be adjusted to work with sunkitten_shash's Bookmark Improver (https://update.greasyfork.org/scripts/457471/AO3%20Bookmark%20Improver.user.js)

w4tchdogeAuthor
§
Posted: 22.05.2024
Edited: 22.05.2024

Great script that has made organising and adding notes to my bookmarks so much easier.

Thanks!

I was wondering if it would be possible to pull relationship tags on from the series pages like it does for individual works?

Do you mean like taking all the relationship tags of all the works on a series page and putting that into the series bookmark? I'd have to look into it but I believe that should be fairly straightforward. I'll try to get that implemented once I've got some more free time where I feel like coding instead of reading stuff on AO3 😄.

can the script be adjusted to work with sunkitten_shash's Bookmark Improver

Sorry, but I don't think that'd be possible, at least for me 😔.

To give some background, the way my bookmark maker script works is that

1. It fires once on a page matching the pre-defined @match rules,
  2. Checks if all the information it needs is present on the page,
  3. And modifies the element with the ID bookmark_notes with all the information you have it set up to fill.

One big hurdle I can think of with making it compatible with sunkitten_shash's Bookmark Improver is that until you click the Save button added by Bookmark Improver, the bookmark_notes element doesn't exist, which means the script can't read or write to the bookmark contents.

Another thing is that the script cannot handle the existence of multiple bookmark_notes elements, and as of writing this reply, I can't really think of how I'd make it handle multiple instances of bookmark_notes which each need to be filled with different information.

Perhaps all the issues that come with making my script compatible with sunkitten_shash's Bookmark Improver could be overcome, but:

1. I do not believe I am experienced enough to do it.
  2. I do not have the motivation to learn how to do it.

I know that this probably isn't the answer you were looking for, and I'm sorry about that.

You could try asking sunkitten_shash about implementing what my script does, as in my opinion that would be easier than making my script compatible with theirs. They seem to be using jQuery's .load() to fetch the bookmark form element from the dedicated page where you make/edit a bookmark (e.g. https://archiveofourown.org/works/31282358/bookmarks/new) and adding that underneath the work, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility to use jQuery to modify the bookmark_notes element that would be present.

§
Posted: 23.05.2024

Yep, that was exactly what I meant re: the relationship tags for series bookmarks.

And absolutely no worries on the Bookmark Improver thing. I was able to muddle my way through making the few basic changes I wanted for aesthetic purposes but don't actually understand the mechanics of how userscripts work - so thank-you for taking the time to explain things for me.

Sign in to post a reply.