Greasy Fork is available in English.

Youtube Auto Quick Buffer

Quickens the bufferer on all Youtube videos

< Feedback on Youtube Auto Quick Buffer

Question/comment

§
Posted: 31-05-2017

What does this script do?

Hello, I'm curious. What actually does this script do? Does this enable buffering in the background automatically even when the video's not playing? Like disabling DASH playback?

§

It makes YouTube use a content delivery network in Canada, rather than whatever one it would try to use automatically. Whether this is still effective, or can possibly make it slower for some, I can't say.

§

Hey miss_p1nky,

First off, this script would be most beneficial to individuals who live in the US. Although it also seems to work well here in Australia, and I am sure most other locations around the globe would benefit.

This script simply changes the server location that is sending you the video data from your local, potentially crowded server, to one in Canada that amazingly, on average, has a lot fewer clients requesting data. The benefit of this is the Canadian servers have the highest chance to have cached a recent upload that is popular in the US, but without the traffic of the US trying to download this cached info.

I had looked into
Implementing DASH disabling, but from my initial understanding, that only works for Flash-run videos, not HTML, although HTML is the H in DASH... I am not 100% sure if it works for HTML videos to be honest.

Thanks for the question, I should probably put this explaination in the script description, huh.
Daniel.

§

Ah I see. Thanks for explaining :)
Not what I'm looking for, unfortunately. Was looking for something to disable DASH playback but still enables me to choose quality.

§
Edited: 31-05-2017

This may be helpful to you, it shows multiple solutions to disabling DASH. https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-speed-up-youtube-buffering-and-playback/

EDIT: I see your dilemma now, 480p, 1080p, 1440p and 4k are all disabled if DASH is disabled. Hmm...

§
Posted: 01-06-2017

Yes, I'm currently using that, but sadly no 480p, whereas I'm used to use that resolution.
I used to use a script called 'Youtube Center' where it has the ability to disable DASH playback and still retain resolution choices but the script's broken and the author doesn't support it anymore :cry:

Sign in to post a reply.