Csgoempire Rain Notifier

Rain notification for csgoempire.com. Without Miner. Workable.

< Feedback on Csgoempire Rain Notifier

Question/comment

§
Posted: 6.4.2018
Edited: 9.4.2018

Nice idea, quite original

Quite original idea.
0% based on my script published days before "yours."
Also, it works exactly as mine(check for ".c-coin-giveaway" every 2secs -> if exists do a GM_notification playing a base64 and if it doesn't exist just continue running).
Even if function names and that things are changed, it works EXACTLY as mine.
Things Boris Britva did:
-Delete the "miner part".
-Changed some functions names and changed the position of some functions.
-Changed the base64 sound.
Almost nothing. It's almost a copy-paste except that he made it look "different" even knowing they work EXACTLY the same.

§
Edited: 6.4.2018

I don't see any code that looks like it was copied from yours. It doesn't matter if it achieves a similar purpose unless you have acquired a patent. Copyright only protects the code itself, all of which looks different to me.

Edit: But I am not a lawyer.

§
I don't see any code that looks like it was copied from yours. It doesn't matter if it achieves a similar purpose unless you have acquired a patent. Copyright only protects the code itself, all of which looks different to me.

Edit: But I am not a lawyer.

Evidences that this guy copied me:

-Line 80 to 93 of my script | Line 33 to 38 of this script: Playing sound works the same except that it doesn't have a "repeat sound" variable.
-Line 67 to 77 of my script | Line 40 to 52 of this script: Notification system works the same, calls the play sound function the same way.
-Line 47 to 59 of my script | Line 66 of this script: Detect for ".c-coin-giveaway" on HTML.
-Line 111 to 119 of my script | Line 39 of this script: Makes the script start and executes the main function that checks for that HTML id.
-And finally(probably I had found something copied more if I searched a little bit mre but I wrote this fast) we have that the lines 53-54 of my script | lines 53-61 of this script literally do the same: clearInterval of the "main function"and make it start again after 90sec.

So this guy just made the code "less readable" and changed a bit some things, but literally acts THE SAME. He just changed some little things, thing which costed as much ~30minutes(as much).
At first glance it does not look like a copy because this guy just did the efforts to make it "the least blatant possible", but if you look and compare for about 5 minutes you'll see that this guy literally copied it.

P.S: Direct links to my script | this script

§
Edited: 6.4.2018

Line 33 to 38 of this script: How do you expect him to play a sound without invoking HTMLAudioElement.play()? You don't have exclusive control over playing audio in greasemonkey scripts; this is part of the HTML5 standard. If two scripts want to play audio this way, they are both going to have to invoke HTMLAudioElement.play(). And there is nothing else that his function is doing.

Line 40 to 52 of this script: All this does is call GM_notification which is part of the greasemonkey API. You don't have exclusive rights to the greasemonkey API, other people are allowed to use it.

Line 66 of this script: The concept of searching for an element on a page isn't covered by copyright; you would have to be granted a patent. You can copyright the code that does the search, but you aren't even using the same search method. You use jquery, while this script does not. So it clearly isn't a copy of your code.

Line 39 of this script: There is nothing similar at all about these two pieces of code.

lines 53-61 of this script: The setInterval function is part of the HTML Living Standard. Nothing else there looks identical.

Again, copyright doesn't cover what the code does, it covers the code that does it. I see absolutely no clear indication of him using your code, nor evidence of you having been granted a patent on what his script does.

Boris BritvaAuthor
§

Oh, mine God! It's again you...
Really? Copyright break?

After 2 minutes googling I've found: Copyright doesn't protect ideas, it protects e.i. textual data.

Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work.

Both scripts do almost the same things:
1. run rain-checker repeatedly,
2. if rain is detected, then
a) make notification,
b) play sound,
c) block rain-checker for some time
This sequence of actions can be seen as a rule how to make a rain notifier script. And it's not under copyright protection.

Sign in to post a reply.