Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Script Updates

§
Posted: 2014-05-12
Edited: 2014-05-12

Script Updates

I noticed @updateURL and @downloadURL directives are stripped from user scripts. I see that it is intentional (https://greasyfork.org/help/rewriting) and I understand the reasons, but it does have an undesirable side effect: while Greasemonkey and Tampermonkey use the script's original download URL for updates, Scriptish and Violent Monkey do not (Scriptish has an option for this, but it's hidden away in the settings and doesn't seem to work reliably).

Several of my users are using Scriptish and Violent Monkey, so I would appreciate it if we could find a solution which doesn't break updates for those users.

Could the site possibly add the appropriate @updateURL and @downloadURL instead of simply stripping them from the scripts? That way users would still be protected from external updates, but updating would still work for everyone.

§
Posted: 2014-05-12

I'm definitely not opposed to doing this, but it seems like a good opportunity to get everyone doing the same thing, so I'll pursue that avenue first.

§
Posted: 2014-05-27

Thank you, Jason. It looks like your approach was a good idea - after the last update Violent Monkey has no more problems with pulling updates from Greasy Fork.

§
Posted: 2014-05-30
I'm definitely not opposed to doing this, but it seems like a good opportunity to get everyone doing the same thing, so I'll pursue that avenue first.

Why you don't just insert the changed urls? This way is compatible with all script managers, including Scriptsh. "doing the same thing" is not answer. You want to remove those 2 metadata urls from API because they useless? What if the user will download a script and drop it into Firefox?

§
Posted: 2014-05-30

I checked auto update in Scriptish. It don't work. "Use download URL for updates" option does nothing. Greasyfork not for Scriptish users. JasonBarnabe, please add this info near green "Install" button.

Sign in to post a reply.