Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Buggy sorting by daily installs

§
Posted: 2022-12-28

A couple of months ago, I wrote a script for a multiplayer web game that is far ahead all the existing ones in both quality and content, however I have great competition with the other existing scripts. I managed to get to second place on the entire site for this category, (unable to beat #1 yet because of google search only showing the top #1) however recently I started to fall to third place. I was being beat by a script with less than half of my daily installs, pushing my to #3, and crushing my ability to get installs. I think this is a bug, as it started to happen only recently. I need a solution fast, I am losing potential installers.
Link to my script: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/452934
Link to all other scripts: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/by-site/venge.io

§
Posted: 2022-12-29

@hacker09 @JasonBarnabe please help. It is happening again

§
Posted: 2022-12-30
Edited: 2022-12-30

I don't think this is a problem, if ratings and total installs are also part of the equation it would make sense that although you had more daily installs you are not on the top/2 position.

If you have enabled the daily total installs filter then yeah that's probably and issue.

Jason is the only one who can fix this.

NotYouMod
§

@JasonBarnabe, someone forgot to add sorting by "Relevance" in by site search, right, Jason? :)

§

@hacker09 This only started happening recently though. I was always second, even though I had only 3 ratings. Now this is happening, and I can't grow my script

§

I hope jason comes on here quick

§
Posted: 2022-12-31

Welp. It happened. My script got pushed down to #3. That was quite unfair. I'm now really in 3rd place, my daily installs are now lower than them. Please look into this.
@JasonBarnabe

§
Posted: 2023-01-02

As far as I can tell:

1. The install counts are stored correctly.
  2. The install counts are displayed correctly.
  3. The search results were sorted based on an outdated number of installs.

I believe I've fixed #3. https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/by-site/venge.io now shows the scripts in an order consistent with the displayed number of installs. I'm not sure if it recently started happening, but it could have been based on the timing of the last script update.

§
Posted: 2023-01-06

Thank you Jason! It works now. It started happening recently, and now it isn't. Everything is back into place now. Also about outdated - I'm not sure there could have possible been any outdated install counts - I checked the install counts on same days on all scripts and there still could've been no way it was possible. Thanks again!

NotYouMod
§
Posted: 2023-04-06
Edited: 2023-04-06

Sorting by "Daily Installs" still doesn't work. If you visit the user-scripts page, you can see that second place is the script with 1,5k (1,521) daily installs, but there is another script with 3k (3,087) daily installs. This is twice as many daily installs as the script that is in 2nd place in the top. Now, I'm not so sure if sorting by "Daily Installs" is just sorting by daily installs.

§
Posted: 2023-04-06

yeah. I think this needs some fixing. BTW update on my script: I finally pushed to #1!!! I pushed so hard that nobody can even catch up it seems! I'm happy lol. HOWEVER there are still some issues: on certain browsers, (such as ms edge) greasyfork will by default be sorted by total installs? why is that? This means that people on such browsers will click, see that the first script (the one that has been up for 2 years and has accumulated 80,000 installs) doesn't work at all, get angry, and leave without trying mine, which is actually THE ONLY FUNCTIONAL SCRIPT FOR THIS GAME.

§
Posted: 2023-04-12

What defines "relevance" in GreasyFork? A simple combination of total and daily install counts?

§
Posted: 2023-04-12

Relevance is how relevant the script is to your search terms, with a daily installs as a tiebreaker.

§
Posted: 2023-04-14

Understood.

§

@JasonBarnabe hello! And also I have a question: how does sorting by ratings work? I have a script I compete with, and even though their script is full of bad reviews (it doesn't work at all) when sorting by ratings it still shows up as #1 even though my script has a better ratio (8 good 0 ok 1 bad, so abt a ratio of 8/1 = 8 and for their script 33 good 12 ok 8 bad, so abt a ratio of 33/8 not counting ok = 4.125) and for some reason I'm still second behind them? how does this work exactly

§

Sorting by ratings is based on a calculation - the lower bound of Wilson score confidence interval for a Bernoulli parameter - which basically summarizes as "we're 95% sure that if everyone reviewed it, the script would get at least this rating".

§
Posted: 2023-04-16
Edited: 2023-04-16

Am I correct to assume this implies that your rating takes into account the total installs?
E.g, 1,000 downloads with 10 good and 1 bad would be better than 10,000 downloads with 10 good and 1 bad.

§

No, it does not take into account the number of installs; it takes into account the number of reviews.

§

Noted. 👍

Sign in to post a reply.