Greasy Fork is available in English.

Convert Youtube Embeds to Image Links

Tries to turn embedded Youtube videos into thumbnails - this is based on "Stop Overzealous Embedding" https://openuserjs.org/users/ConnorBehan

< Feedback on Convert Youtube Embeds to Image Links

Review: Good - script works

Deleted user 128
§
Posted: 12-05-2015
Edited: 12-05-2015

Even more pertinent with YouTube's new HTML5 default

This script is fantastic and is what I was searching for ever since YouTube changed video rendering from Flash to HTML5.
HTML5 is used as well, of course, with YouTube embedded videos, and as such, for the time being anyhow, these embedded videos:
1- Do not display a full-screen access button;
2- The script I used with Flash which handled YouTube embedded video quality does not function with YouTube HTML5 embedded videos (and I've found no other similar script that does) : I don't like 360p even if for an extra-small video size it remains understandable.

So, this Convert Youtube Embeds to Image Links is even more welcome, has run flawlessly up to now on several sites I've tested it. A true relief. Thanks :)

elundmarkAuthor
§
Posted: 14-05-2015

Thank you :-)

It sure helps on performance; I had to write something because I've never had a decent enough laptop to handle websites with dozens of embedded videos, and like you said, just disabling Flash isn't an option anymore.

Have any requests for the appearance btw? Not really good at making things look pretty, I mainly focused on making it fast.

Deleted user 128
§
Posted: 14-05-2015
Edited: 15-05-2015

As far as the "look" is concerned (appearance!), I preferred your script to another one which only displays the link without the image because having that link held by the YouTube logo is a true pleasure and allows to have that first view. In fact it's just like if the video was forbidden to autoplay ... great.

Now, maybe that logo could be replaced by something like :

This is what a Firefox add-on proposes (YouTube Embed2Link ), and it does have the advantage of its background transparency, yet it does not explicitly name YouTube as the button's aim... until hovered of course. I don't know too much, this is really cosmetics. Your script runs fine, the add-also and, since I'm far, very far from being a techie and that I am always in doubt when having to choose between an add-on and a script when they both perform equally well the same task... I wander as I wonder as I write these lines :)

Anyway, Convert Youtube Embeds to Image Links runs perfectly well. The remaining is subjective.

elundmarkAuthor
§
Posted: 04-06-2015

Hi, again, forgot to reply last time; I'm thinking of making my own version that very one, but in svg. Just learning Inkscape so I might make an update soon... Love the white shadow, really works with any video. But maybe some red in there to hint at Youtube as well..

elundmarkAuthor
§
Posted: 04-06-2015
Edited: 04-06-2015

I wrote this to get away from addons myself, went all out for Speed, so it that's more important than how it looks I'd stick with using this userscript. It's really the reason this exists... :-)

Sign in to post a reply.