Greasy Fork is available in English.

Amazon - Call Out Sponsored Contents

I'm cheap and don't like ads affecting my purchase decisions!

< Feedback on Amazon - Call Out Sponsored Contents

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 01-12-2022

This is great.
It catches the normal sponsored listings on the searches though very well.
I like that you highlight the ads them instead of remove them - maybe the name of the script should be updated?

I'm seeing some things that aren't being identified though:

On product detail pages:

"More from popular brands" and "Products related to this item" are both sponsored

The ad between the top nav and the breadcrumbs on product detail pages.

In the search results it seems to miss the "Highly Rated" section, which is all sponsored ads. I think there may be other things like this too.

chuyaguo2014Author
§
Posted: 01-12-2022

oh thank you so much for your feedback!

> I like that you highlight the ads them instead of remove them

Yea I didn't feel comfortable just hiding/deleting content directly from my users (because that felt like I was making decisions on their behalf) so I decided to only high light the ads. I'm glad to hear you feel the same way!

> renaming the script
That's a great idea! I will do that!

> "More from popular brands" and "Products related to this item" are both sponsored
Yea I was wondering about those too when I was writing the script. I thought I must be misreading it because "Amazon is smart and would mix ads with regular content and wouldn't show me a whole list of just ads" so I left those alone. But now that you mentioned it, I will definitely high-light/call them out in my next update! 😄 And the same with the "Highly Rated" section! If I missed anything else please let me know!

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and helpful comment!

§
Posted: 26-12-2022

Thanks!

Yea I was wondering about those too when I was writing the script. I thought I must be misreading it

Yeah, Amazon's ads are crazy now. They are making good money on them, so it's not surprising.

There are still a few not being highlighted. I'm not sure if you didn't have a chance for them yet, or if Amazon changed something, but figured I'd share - annotated screenshot attached here.

chuyaguo2014Author
§
Posted: 28-12-2022

Thank you for catching them!

I just pushed up a new update that _should_ hopefully cover the examples you highlighted. I've noticed that some of these ads have HTML attributes that suggest they'd only show up on a desktop so I'd imagine this script doesn't work quite as well on a mobile device. If you notice anything else that I'm missing, please let me know.

PS: the screenshots and annotations in your feedback are tremendously helpful! 🙂

Sign in to post a reply.