Mark Watched YouTube Videos

Add an indicator for watched videos on YouTube. Use GM menus to display history statistics, backup history, and restore/merge history.

< Feedback on Mark Watched YouTube Videos

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 27 Agustus 2021

Really need a script like this and it worked wonderfully.
Im curious, though, is there a limit on the max number of marked videos the script can register/save?
I used a simmilar script for a different website and the new registered stuff overrited the old after a determinated number.
It's the same with this one?

jcunewsPembuat
§
Posted: 28 Agustus 2021

The absolute limit is defined by the web browser, which varies depending on the web engine. See the Storage size subsection under Features section of below page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_storage#Features

The script doesn't implement any limit based on used storage size, or the number of entries. It only implements a limit based on the time a video was watched/rewatched, where it will forget/remove an entry if it's older than the specified maximum age in the script settings. i.e. with script's default setting, it will keep only the recent 5 years old or younger entries - regardless of how many of them.

jcunewsPembuat
§

The estimated used storage size in Bytes, can be calculated like this:

EstByteSize = 20 + (n * (16 + (2 * e)))

Where n is the number of entries, and e is the average length of a video ID string.

The result excludes any file format overhead used to store the Web Storage data.

§

YouTube announced publicly that they will show you a video that you already watched because it is likely that you will watch it again. This happens to me as well... except it never shows videos as watched, even if I've had them in my "watch later" and then actually watch them. Refresh Watch Later and it shows unwatched. So I can't even clear that. Well, there's youtube's method but that's been broken for years. Other than that, when you click not interested it gives you the option to select that you've already watched it. Why you have to do that when youtube has it marked watched with the red line under it is baffling. check this

jcunewsPembuat
§
Posted: 29 Agustus 2021

Venita Johnson,

Your experience may vary, but I find YouTube's watched video red line marker unreliable, or is not effective enough. e.g.

• Sometimes it shows fully watched videos as partially watched ones.

• Sometimes it doesn't remember watched videos at all.

• Sometimes it forgets already watched videos completely.

• The marker can't be applied when watching video in Incognito or private browsing mode.

• The red line markers are not easy enough to spot. Especially if the video thumbnails are reddish images.

The last one is probably because I do not have a perfect vision. That's one of the reasons why this script was made. This script was initially made for myself for the problem which I'm experiencing. However, I realize that I may not be the only one having the same problem. So, sorry if it annoys you. But no worry though, this script is optional. You do not have to use it and no one is forcing you to use it if it doesn't make any sense to you.

Sign in to post a reply.