Greasy Fork is available in English.

YouTube - Proper Description

Watch page description below the video with proper open/close toggle, instead of a side bar.

< Feedback on YouTube - Proper Description

Review: OK - script works, but has bugs

§
Posted: 2023.10.16.

Script doesn't work anymore. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing it, but nothing. Worked fine up until this morning, so I don't know if Youtube did something internally.

q1kAuthor
§
Posted: 2023.10.17.

Youtube is probably just changing something on their side. It's most likely just another experiment and only affects certain users.

You can try with an older version of the script, see if that has any effect.

q1kAuthor
§
Edited: 2023.10.17.

I just posted a new version that will write logs in the console. It will help with finding where it gets stuck.

Set the variable in the top to true and save the script. var debug_mode = true;

Now reload youtube and open the console (F12).

If all goes well it should have logs like this

searching for elements
  found: #top-row
  found: #bottom-row
  found: #owner
  found: #tooltip
  found: #description
  found: #expand
  found: #collapse
  ytpd-done

if ytpd-done is not shown, where does it stop?

§

This is all it returned.

§

Update: so version 2.0.5 seems to work for me.

q1kAuthor
§

ok. what does this return when you paste into the console under youtube?

document.querySelectorAll("ytd-watch-metadata #bottom-row #description > tp-yt-paper-tooltip")

§

Here you go.

q1kAuthor
§

Can you expand the element it found?

§

wanted to help cuz im greatly appreciative of this script, heres the expanded element you wanted

theres alot of layers to expand but heres the jist of it.

§
Edited: 2023.10.17.

https://streamable.com/wzrhd2

heres the ytd element expanded (couldnt screenshot its too damn long)

q1kAuthor
§

no, no. that's not what i meant.
first reveal in elements inspector, then expand it.
https://streamable.com/x4ca5o

and can you also run this in console:
document.querySelectorAll("ytd-watch-metadata #bottom-row #description > tp-yt-paper-tooltip")[0].innerText.trim()
thanks

§

So I went to grab the info you requested and the latest version seems to be working now? If you still need any more data, please let me know.

q1kAuthor
§

i updated it anyway. hopefully if these experiments hit other users the script won't just stop working.

§
Posted: 2023.10.19.

I've actually found that to fix this issue, you have to disable a flag that says "display: flex;". This moves the action bar back to the right where it originally was.

I have no idea whether or not this breaks anything, but it is a solution that the author could take to fix this.

q1kAuthor
§
Posted: 2023.10.21.

I've actually found that to fix this issue, you have to disable a flag that says "display: flex;". This moves the action bar back to the right where it originally was.

I have no idea whether or not this breaks anything, but it is a solution that the author could take to fix this.

That wasn't the cause of this issue. Youtube is changing the layout a bit which added more elements with the same name, so to avoid selecting the wrong one I had to make the selector more specific.
So this shouldn't happen anymore. At least until Youtube makes a big change again.

Sign in to post a reply.