YouTube Sizer

Resizes the YouTube player to smaller sizes

< Feedback on YouTube Sizer

Question/comment

§
Posted: 08-11-2023

Unfortunately, the script only reduces the size of the video player, but doesn't not increase it.
No matter what numbers I replace in the next line
initPref("yt-width", 854);
nothing happens.

§
Posted: 09-11-2023

My system:
- Browser: Firefox 119.0.1 64bit

John BurtAuthor
§

The size only increases to the max size of the video player width with the use of "z" or "x" or "shift+scroll".

§

Thank you for the reply.
Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, no keys ("z", "x") work to resize the video player, only the overlay button can do all the work, though only reducing or returning to the default the video player's size.

John BurtAuthor
§

I dynamically get the max size from a CSS style on the webpage so that could be the issue. If you can check the console log for any errors in your web browser that would help me diagnose the issue.

You can manually change the value in the storage settings of the script from your chrome extension you're using to change the width value in the mean time.
Or possibly changing "var maxWidth = getPref("yt-width");" to "var maxWidth = 1000;" or another value you choice.

Changing "initPref("yt-width", 854);" won't work because that initializes the value to 854 in the storage settings and you would have to uninstall the script and reinstall without loading YouTube first to able to change that value.

§

After reducing the size of the video player and reloading the page, the size of the video player became so small that I didn't even be able to click the button to return to the normal size. So I went into the Storage tab of the Edit Youtube Sizer Tampermonkey's page and was forced to change manually "yt-width" to return to the normal size.

§

Modifying "var maxWidth = getPref("yt-width");" to "var maxWidth = 1000;" didn't make any changes, unfortunately.

John BurtAuthor
§

I made an update to the code to calculate the maxWidth differently. Hopefully that will fix your issue.

§

Please, insert into the code
@supportURL https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/421396-youtube-sizer
It would be way convenient for the users to update the script and to know, where to go to get news.

John BurtAuthor
§

I was able to update the header to add the @supportURL. I appreciate your help in improving the script.

§

Unfortunately, the new script also does not work, or rather, it works, but only changes the size of the video player from normal to smaller and back from smaller to normal.

§

Again, the keys are not working, only the overlay icon.

§

Here is the video with screencast what happens during script execution attempts.
https://github.com/iG8R/test01/issues/2

John BurtAuthor
§

I updated the script so it works better in Firefox.

§

Still the same:(

John BurtAuthor
§

Were you able to update it to version 1.93?

§

Yes, it was 1.93 version.

§

Found something.
Large images cannot be uploaded here, so here is an external link:

https://github.com/iG8R/test01/issues/2#issuecomment-1804727637

John BurtAuthor
§

If you can clear the webpage cache, and uninstall/reinstall the script maybe that can fix it.

§

I've done it before, but I can do it again.

§

Deleted Youtube's cookies + cache, deleted Youtube-Sizer from Tampermonkey's dashboard and then from its trashcan.
Reloaded Firefox. Still the same result...

§

I booted into a completely new profile, installed only Tampermonkey + YoutubeSizer - the result is the same.

John BurtAuthor
§

What's the exact issue?

§

Issue still the same - the video player isn't enlarging, only has two positions - as usual, which is absolutely no different from the size with which Youtube is loaded without any scripts, and "shrunken". And it would be great, if the size of the video player filled the entire screen, and the sidebar with tiles stayed in its usual place, rather than the whole page has huge empty black bars on the sides.

John BurtAuthor
§

The script is not designed to make the video player bigger than the original size. It's only possible to resize the player to smaller sizes only.

§
Posted: 10-11-2023
Edited: 10-11-2023

Sorry, my bad, I thought it could resize the video player to fit the entire viewport area.

John BurtAuthor
§

I updated the description to make it more clear. Maybe in the future I can try to add that feature although there are other scripts that I believe do that feature.

§

The thing is that there are no scripts that would fit a video player into a page.
Though, as it turned out, it isn't so difficult - it is enough to change just one parameter:

ytd-watch-flexy[flexy][flexy-enable-large-window-sizing][flexy-large-window_]:not([is-extra-wide-video_]),
ytd-watch-flexy[flexy][flexy-enable-large-window-sizing][flexy-large-window_][transcript-opened_][is-two-columns_]:not([is-extra-wide-video_]),
ytd-watch-flexy[flexy][flexy-enable-large-window-sizing][flexy-large-window_][playlist][is-two-columns_]:not([is-extra-wide-video_]),
ytd-watch-flexy[flexy][flexy-enable-large-window-sizing][flexy-large-window_][should-stamp-chat][is-two-columns_]:not([is-extra-wide-video_]) {
--ytd-watch-flexy-min-player-height:1080px;
}

Sign in to post a reply.