YouTube Clickbait-Buster

Check whether it's worth watching a video before actually clicking on it by peeking it's visual or verbal content, description, comments, viewing the thumbnail in full-size and displaying the full title. Works on both YouTube's desktop and mobile layouts, and is also compatible with dark theme.

< Feedback on YouTube Clickbait-Buster

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2022-08-21

Hello,

Your script is very amazing and really helps to waste less time on the videos recommended by YouTube :-)

I would like to know where I can change in the script for Peek video content please ?
- the number of columns
- the number of timestamps seconds from 10 to 5 for example

In addition, for Peek description :
Can we have the possibility to copy and paste the text and click on the links please ?

Also for Peek comments :
Can we have the dates of the comments please ?

Thank you for your answer.

Google Chrome Browser with Tampermonkey

hjk789Author
§
Posted: 2022-08-21

To change the number of chunk columns, open the script's code and in the SETTINGS section change the numberChunkColumns from 1 to the number you prefer.

The time gap between the timestamps is determined by YouTube, you can't change. The longer the video, the longer the gap. The 5 seconds gap is only for videos with a duration of less than 15 minutes. If you change the gap size, the timestamps become desynchronized with the frames.

Can we have the possibility to copy and paste the text and click on the links please ?

Yes, I can add a popup similar to the transcription, but for the description. In the meantime, Firefox for desktop allows you to select the text.

Can we have the dates of the comments please ?

Sure, I can add an option to display dates.

§
Posted: 2022-08-22

Thank you so much for your explanations.

I changed the number of chunk columns to 2 and it's perfect for me :-)

Very sorry but, I forgot to ask you how to modify also the scipt to get images in jpg rather than webp for View high-res thumbnail please ?

§

And to get the jpg images of the video's storyboard from these links like the one below also please ?
https://i.ytimg.com/sb/Lnu73MxsaXA/storyboard3_L2/M2.jpg?sqp=-oaymwENSDfyq4qpAwVwAcABBqLzl_8DBgjf1P6XBg==&sigh=rs$AOn4CLBVdrjLVmFJm4KBtipJdGR97GhGEg

Peek video content : You can click the timestamps to open the video directly in the part you are interested in.
It never works for me, but it's certainly because of the layout changes of YouTube...

hjk789Author
§

how to modify also the script to get images in jpg rather than webp

The script already loads the image in jpg, but only when the webp version isn't available. If you want the script to first try the jpg version instead, go to line 421 and change img.src = "https://i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/" + videoId + "/maxresdefault.webp" to img.src = "https://i.ytimg.com/vi/" + videoId + "/maxresdefault.jpg".

to get the jpg images of the video's storyboard from these links like the one below

You mean the storyboard or the individual frames? The storyboard is already in jpg. The individual frames you can't get them this way, you have to open the video at the time of the frame and save the video frame. Firefox has an option for that in the right-click menu, in Chrome you would have to find another way, like putting the video in full screen and taking a screenshot.

It never works for me, but it's certainly because of the layout changes of YouTube...

The timestamps appear only in the storyboard view in the YouTube page where you opened it, just click the timestamp and it will open the video. It's working fine on my side.

§
Posted: 2022-08-23

Yes, I'm talking about the storyboard because every time I right click to save them the webp format is always proposed like M1.webp...
Also, I just realized that hqdefault is also in webp.

In fact, I don't use the webp format until now, but rather the jpg and png formats.
That's why I'm trying to get the jpg format with your script which saves me time and that allows me not to install any additional extension or script to save any image in jpg format.

Very sorry because it's works very well, I made the mistake of clicking on the frame instead of the timestamps.

hjk789Author
§
Posted: 2022-08-23

My bad, the storyboards are actually in webp, not jpg. There's no way to change the format, as YouTube provides them only in that format. Your only solution is saving the webp and using an online webp -> jpg converter.

§
Posted: 2022-08-24

Thank you for your suggestion :-)

If I modify the line 449 and change this.src = "https://i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/" + videoId + "/hqdefault.webp" to this.src = "https://i.ytimg.com/vi/" + videoId + "/hqdefault.jpg" to get the "hqdefault" in jpg
Its' okay ? Because even though the line 445 contains this.src = "https://i.ytimg.com/vi/" + videoId + "/hqdefault.jpg" ; the images "hqdefault.jpg" appear again in webp...

Thank you again in advance and sorry because I don't have the functions :
- bold, italic, color
- insert a link, insert an image...
to improve my messages so that they are clearer on Greasyfork :-(

hjk789Author
§

Its' okay ?

Yes.

the images "hqdefault.jpg" appear again in webp...

Line 445 only runs if line 449 fails. By doing that change the jpg version will be used straightaway.

§

Thank you very much for all ;-)

The script works perfectly on all functions.

It's really nice of you to create and share a very good script.

§
Posted: 2022-08-26

Hello,

Since very early this morning, every time I go to my YouTube video history the recent videos are automatically deleted.

- When I deactivate the script the problem is not there anymore
- When I reactivate the script the problem is still there

Do you have any idea what could be wrong please ?

hjk789Author
§
Posted: 2022-08-27

I just released an update with the fix. Thanks for the feedback.

§
Posted: 2022-08-27

Thanks a lot ;-)

§
Posted: 2022-09-22

Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience, I would like to know what is new since the 1.10.3 version please ?

hjk789Author
§
Posted: 2022-09-23

You can view all changes here.

Sign in to post a reply.