Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Forum localization

§
Posted: 2014-10-28
Edited: 2014-10-28

Forum localization

I'm looking into adding localization (translation into different languages) to the forum. Vanilla has localization features, but it does not have localization by path (e.g. /fr/forum goes to the forum in French), so I had to create a custom plug-in.

Obviously the content of what people post won't be translated, but depending on the level of the translation, some/most/all of the forum UI should be.

Try it out: bg de es fr id ja nl pl pt-BR ru zh-CN zh-TW

Let me know how you think it works.

wOxxOmMod
§

Navigation pane.

In Russian the word "дискуссия" is a debate, so a much better translation would be тема (topic) which is a commonly used term on all forums. Also "Свежие" (fresh) is very weird, новые (new) would be better.

• Разделы - should be removed from GreasyFork forum as it's duplicated by the Categories list below
  • Новые темы
  • Активность - should be removed from GreasyFork forum due to lack of any meaning
  • Мои темы

Possible translation for the categories pane:

• Все разделы
  • Сайт Greasy Fork - should be the last item because currently some users wrongly post here their *script* feedback
  • Разработка скриптов - should be the second last item because currently some users wrongly post here their feedback
  • Запросы на создание скриптов - "Requests to make a script" makes it obvious that this forum isn't for script support requests because currently some users wrongly post here their feedback
  • Обсуждение скриптов - should be the second item right after All Categories for obvious reasons

Forum header

• Новые темы - the link is the same as Recent discussions so the translation *must* be the same too
  • Активность - "Activity" should be removed from GreasyFork forum due to lack of any meaning

Topic list

• 31 views 5 comments Последний от wOxxOm Monday 27 Oct в 04:22PM Script Discussions

TL:

31 просм. 5 коммент. Последний от wOxxOm Понедельник 27 окт в 16:22 Обсуждение скриптов

I've shortened the first two words because in Russian words have different endings depending on grammatical case: 30 просмотров, 31 просмотр, 32-34 просмотра, 35-39 просмотров

• The post time should be in localized format (00:00-23:59 instead of am/pm)

Post view

• Пожаловаться or Сообщить модератору (Report to moderator) should be used instead of the current inappropriate translation Упрекнуть (reproach, lol)
  • The post time should be in localized format
§

Greasy Fork uses translations provided by vanilla. Thus it might be the best to change most of the translations directly at transifex (there you can also translate Greasy Fork itself as there are also > 20 missing russian translations). Especially in the future, when there might be other translations which don't fit.

Forum on transifex: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/vanilla/
Greasy Fork on transifex: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/greasy-fork/

How to translate / use transifex: https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/wiki/Translating-Greasy-Fork

wOxxOmMod
§

Tobbe, thanks, that's a very useful information and it'd be nice if it was present in the OP, however as I never use localized websites I'll probably leave my post above intact hoping that someone might use it, moreover there are some important usability suggestions for Jason to consider.

§
In Russian the word "дискуссия" is a debate, so a much better translation would be тема (topic) which is a commonly used term on all forums. Also "Свежие" (fresh) is very weird, новые (new) would be better.

As @Tobbe mentioned, this is how the translations come, and he mentioned how to change it, but it's good to know the general quality.

Активность - should be removed from GreasyFork forum due to lack of any meaning

I took this out for regular users. I agree, it's pretty useless, and was just filled with spam.

Possible translation for the categories pane:

Translating category names is not yet possible, but there's an issue filed for it.

§
Posted: 2014-10-29

jason,
maybe i stupid but how can i switch gm.org language? toggling pull-down menu at up-right corner seems do nothing..

§

Are you asking how to change the forum language? I haven't added anything to do that yet. You need to use the links the post above.

§
Are you asking how to change the forum language?

No, I'm asking how to stop redirecting me, eg. , from
greasyfork.org/scripts
to
greasyfork.org/ru/scripts

§
Edited: 2014-10-29

More Chinese translations!

Main page / thread listing (Doesn't matter plural or not)

• xx views -> xx 次浏览
  • xx comments -> xx 个回应
  • Hide/Show script reviews -> 隐藏(Hide)/显示(Show) 脚本反馈

Post / Thread

• edited xx should be 最后编辑于 xx

Catalogues name suggestion (when possible)

• Site Feedback -> 站点反馈
  • Development -> 脚本开发
  • Script Creation Requests -> 脚本请求
  • Script Discussions -> 脚本讨论

Misc.

• Preferences -> 论坛选项

Also Chinese doesn't look well in small font:
Chinese in small font

.. and default font looks "too thin" as well.
Chinese looks too thin

Suggesting body { font-family: "Microsoft JhengHei UI", PMingLiu; } for Chinese users. Default Chinese font for Linux isn't SimSum so not(?) effected.

§

If you want to do translations, you can do it on Vanilla's Transifex.

If you can't find the proper key, let me know, and I'll see if I can track it down.

§
Posted: 2014-10-30

Suggesting body { font-family: "Microsoft JhengHei UI", PMingLiu; } for Chinese users. Default Chinese font for Linux isn't SimSum so not(?) effected.

微软正黑和细明体是繁体中文的,用来显示简体中文会造成字形错误。

§
Posted: 2014-11-01

我默认用正黑渲染简体字觉得看上去舒服些… 雅黑给我的感觉粗了些 :<
不过这些东西一个 Stylish 样式就能解决了。

If you want to do translations, you can do it on Vanilla's Transifex.

If you can't find the proper key, let me know, and I'll see if I can track it down.

§

我默认用正黑渲染简体字觉得看上去舒服些… 雅黑给我的感觉粗了些 :<
不过这些东西一个 Stylish 样式就能解决了。

不是好不好看的问题,是字写出来对不对的问题。
正黑会细一些很正常,因为繁体字笔画多,所以自然要细一些才能看。
喜欢正黑选繁体版本就好。
简体版本如果觉得雅黑太粗,可以先 微软雅黑Light 再 微软雅黑。

§

I've made the main site link to the localized versions of the forum now.

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2014-11-03
Edited: 2014-11-03

Is there a way to have another method of localizing so that the url is the same but the contents is translated? Because the links from search engines, other sites, GF forum comments will open a page with specific language which is different from the user specified, switching it every time is cumbersome.

Or maybe it's possible to write a simple php module which will substitute the language in the inbound urls to the user preferred one?

P.S. for personal use I've made a userscript.

§

If you come from a different page for the first time in a new session, there is a link suggesting to change. It might help to have always such a link if the language on a page does not match the language of the session.

wOxxOmMod
§
Edited: 2014-11-03

there is a link suggesting to change. It might help to have always such a link

I don't like the distraction, a few other multilanguage sites I visit simply display everything in my preferred language, simple and clean.

§

As a bit of a test of localization, I've added support for it in the DiscussionAbout plugin I developed.

The three strings to translate are here.

§
Posted: 2014-11-04
P.S. for personal use I've made a userscript.

https://greasyfork.org/zh-CN/scripts/5596-greasy-fork-in-my-language

wOxxOmMod
§
Edited: 2014-11-04

@ts, well, thanks, but your script doesn't process forum links, nor links to greasyfork on other sites like google, for example - I mean it loads the page twice from server when the language is different. My own implementation has its limits too - it fails to switch the urls pasted from clipboard in the location bar.

That's why I suggested to change current localization navigation for a smoother and distraction-free browsing experience.

Regarding DiscussionAbout in Russian:

Скрипт: %s
скрипт %s
Идентификатор элемента:

P.S. I haven't found where 'Item ID' is displayed.

§

Item ID is just the default, generic one. It's overridden in a new file I just added to Transifex.

§

Category names and descriptions are now translatable.

§
Posted: 2014-11-07

There appears to be a bug in Vanilla where "x views" or "x comments" are not translatable. This looks like it's fixed in the next major version.

Is there anything else missing?

文科Mod
§

date

§

"x views" or "x comments" are now translatable.

The edited message appears to have changed between 2.1 (what we use) and the latest dev (which is what is on Transifex). It should be fixed when we upgrade to the next major version. I don't think it's important enough to patch in this version.

§

zh-TW seems to be able to translate dates and times. I wonder why zh-CN doesn't.

§

zh-TW in Vanilla's Transifex has these formats:

$Definition['Date.DefaultDateTimeFormat'] = '%B %e, %Y %l:%M%p';
$Definition['Date.DefaultDayFormat'] = '%b %e 日';
$Definition['Date.DefaultFormat'] = '%Y %b %e日';
$Definition['Date.DefaultTimeFormat'] = '%H:%M';
$Definition['Date.DefaultYearFormat'] = '%B %Y';

zh has:

$Definition['Date.DefaultDateTimeFormat'] = '%B %e, %Y %l:%M%p';
$Definition['Date.DefaultDayFormat'] = '%B %e';
$Definition['Date.DefaultFormat'] = '%Y年%m月%d日';
$Definition['Date.DefaultTimeFormat'] = '%l:%M%p';
$Definition['Date.DefaultYearFormat'] = '%B %Y';

"DefaultDayFormat" is the one being used in that screenshot. Feel free to set them straight on Vanilla's Transifex.

§
Posted: 2014-11-08

But the edited by ... text also is not translated ;) So to me it looks lie there is the English tranlation used (including the date).

§
Posted: 2014-11-08

There's no "Edited by %s on %s" but there's a "Edited %s by %s."

Sign in to post a reply.