Greasy Fork is available in English.

New IMDB Message Boards - Moviechat

Directly integrated replacement on the IMDB message boards using moviechat.org, appears at bottom of all IMDB movie/tv page listings, includes millions of archived posts saved from before the boards closed.

< Отзив за New IMDB Message Boards - Moviechat

Въпрос/коментар

§
Публикуван на: 05.03.2017

New feature request

First of all, congratulations on your good work providing this script. I'm sure it made many movie buffs happy, me included.
I was wondering if you could add the option to have the moviechat.org message boards opening up selectively, on demand. I mean, having a + next to the "Message Boards" title and having the message boards appearing (and most importantly, loading) if/as soon as the user clicks on it.
Not everyone needs access to EVERY movie's boards at ALL times necessarily and those with limited bandwidth/dsl speed could be benefited from a tweak like that, especially when checking/opening multiple movie links found in a list or something. Thanks a lot!

drhouseАвтор
§
Публикуван на: 06.03.2017

thx. glad to hear people are using the message boards. User participation is appreciated and as always the more votes a request gets, the more it will be considered. Some points:
- part of the design goal of this script was to make it look like the IMDB boards before they were closed, the idea being that people are more likely to use it if it looks and feels as familiar as possible.
- from a layout standpoint, the iframe has a scrollbar so it cannot take up excessive room within a page unlike, say for example, using optional display 'full cast&crew' listings with 100's of entries
- a default IMDB movie listing page, without the message board script, is around ~3MB. A moviechat message board listing, which is mostly text, is around ~200-300kb (scripts are cached). In other words, if loading the message board is even remotely an issue at 300kb, then loading the default site at 3MB would be impractical to use altogether compared in magnitude.
- consider that prior to the board-closing, nobody seems to have made a userscript that would toggle bosards on/off, because it wasn't really considered an issue

Although in theory a single kb saved is an improvement, in practice the differences being discussed here might have been more relevant in the days of 56k modems, which btw reminds me of constant bandwidth concerns when I started coding web design in the mid-late 90's.

Публикувайте отговор

Влезте, за да публикувате отговор.