VGMLoaderX

Automatically downloads albums from KHInsider without an account.

< Spätná väzba na VGMLoaderX

Hodnotenie: Dobré - skript funguje

§
Pridaný: 04.08.2024

Thanks for your work, the script works pretty well!

Is it possible to .. kinda speed up the download process? My network is not bad but somehow downloading seems slow ...

Maybe download multiple files concurrently can be a solution?

§
Pridaný: 05.08.2024
Upravený: 05.08.2024

While possible in theory, concurrent downloads would add a lot of complexity to the script (including a workaround for a Firefox bug I apparently just discovered), so this is currently not planned. If you require faster speeds, I recommend trying a desktop downloader such as KhinsiderDownloader or khinsider.

§

Thanks for your quick reply, I'll try the desktop downloaders you recommended above:)

Besides, If I want to implement the concurrent downloading feature by myself in the future, I may would like to use part of your code. I've read the "HIPPOCRATIC LICENSE" carefully and just for ensurance - can I redistribute a modified version of VGMLoaderX or pubish a new script using some of VGMLoaderX's code under the same license("HIPPOCRATIC LICENSE" ) then?

§

Sure! If you want, you can use a different license as well, since I deliberately left out the copyleft clause.

§

Wow that's selfless! But there's another part of the license claims that distributing modified software should use the same license ...

§

Besides I'm a little bit curious about the reason you choose "HIPPOCRATIC LICENSE" license. Generally this license is not that "famous" as GPL, MIT, BSD and so on (for me, it's my first time I know about this license today). But you choosed it and even build your own version, I think there must be something that really interested you. May I know what are the advantages of it in your view?

§

The way I interpret this part is that it refers to, for example, GUI applications, where, if you'd use a library with this license, you'd have to disclose that you've done so, including a way for the end-user to read the license text. An example would be this Android app.

This paragraph would then mean that you can't just change the license of that library to, say, the Unlicense (which would get rid of the need for disclosure).

That being said, I think two things are important to keep in mind here:

1. I'm not a lawyer.
  2. I don't really care that much about licensing. I won't go after you if you take this interpretation of the paragraph you linked, run with it, and it turns out to be wrong and what you've done is technically illegal.

This brings me to your question: I've chosen this license mostly out of principle. I think that, as a software developer, you have a certain responsibility to make sure your code isn't used for evil (even if "your code" just refers to little scripts like this – again, principle).

This is a bit of a tangent, but a few years ago, I read a post about a developer working for some kind of pharmaceutical company. They were tasked with implementing a questionnaire on their website, which asked the end user some questions about their health. At the end of the test, no matter what the user entered, it would always recommend the company's drug. Someone with mental health issues took the test and, subsequently, the drug, which ended up making things worse, and they died by suicide shortly after.

It goes without saying that, if my code had somehow been involved in this case, I would be very upset. Releasing my work under this license gives me at least some legal ground in a worst-case scenario like this.

There are a few similar licenses, like For Good Eyes Only, which I actually used in the past, but I found that the Hippocratic License strikes just the right balance between conciseness and strictness for me. Additionally, in contrast to the FGEO license, the Hippocratic License was:

[...] written and reviewed by several intellectual property attorneys and enforceability was a top priority during its drafting.

If you're interested in this topic, I also recommend Ethical Source, an extremely interesting and insightful resource regarding this "movement".

§

An example would be this Android app.

Although that Android app's link is unavailable, I learnt what it mean from your explanation.

Also, the idea of "human freedom comes before software freedom" is interesting, thank you for introducing me Ethical Source. Maybe I'll choose one of the ethical source licenses someday:)

Pridať odpoveď

Aby ste mohli pridať odpoveď, prihláste sa.