AO3: Get Current Chapter Word Count

Counts and displays the number of words in the current chapter

< Feedback on AO3: Get Current Chapter Word Count

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2024-06-05

Useful little script, thank you for making it!

One small issue I noticed is that if you navigate to a chapter via a subscription email, the script doesn't work for some reason. I know you're matching it with
// @match *://archiveofourown.org/*chapters/*
But the word count does not show up on this example: https://archiveofourown.org/chapters/143376985

w4tchdogeAuthor
§
Edited: 2024-06-05

Useful little script, thank you for making it!

One small issue I noticed is that if you navigate to a chapter via a subscription email, the script doesn't work for some reason. I know you're matching it with
// @match *://archiveofourown.org/*chapters/* But the word count does not show up on this example: https://archiveofourown.org/chapters/143376985

Thanks for the issue report!

I uhhh, I'm not matching on *://archiveofourown.org/*chapters/* actually. I'm matching on *://archiveofourown.org/*works/*. I didn't even know you could read a chapter from a URL like that.

I'll add a *://archiveofourown.org/*chapters/* match rule to the script soon, currently putting the finishing touches on some bugfixes and additions to my implementation of AO3's word counting regular expression, and the *://archiveofourown.org/*chapters/* match rule will be in that update.

§

I uhhh, I'm not matching on *://archiveofourown.org/*chapters/* actually. I'm matching on *://archiveofourown.org/*works/*. I didn't even know you could read a chapter from a URL like that.

Oh, I must've added that in an attempt to fix the problem then, hah. It's not enough though, it doesn't work even with that line. It's not a big issue though, you can just click on the chapter display at the top to get to the /works/ equivalent of the chapter. I don't understand why Ao3 even differentiates there.

w4tchdogeAuthor
§

It's not enough though, it doesn't work even with that line.

That's because v1.1.3 checks if the current page URL contains "works" (curr_page_url.pathname.includes('works') in the if condition). I'm doing away with that in v1.2.0 since @match *://archiveofourown.org/*works/* already does that job.

I'm hoping to get v1.2.0 out in the next ~6 hours but I'm currently a bit preoccupied watching some sportsball 😅

w4tchdogeAuthor
§

v1.2.0 is now live and it should fix the issue you were having. Let me know if it hasn't or something else's cropped up or the word count seems inaccurate

§

Works perfectly, thanks for the quick fix!

Sign in to post a reply.