Youtube Music Precise Volume Adjustement

Allow you to precisely chose your volume on Youtube Music

< Feedback on Youtube Music Precise Volume Adjustement

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2022-10-03

Awesome work. I have always wanted this feature on YouTube Music (and YouTube itself, although this userscript is only for YouTube Music, of course).

To new users, just a couple notes on quirks & bugs so you can work around them:
1) The volume slider still works, and the number input box created by this userscript will automatically update to show the new volume level set by the slider BUT ONLY IF YOU DRAG THE SLIDER. If you use the mouse wheel to scroll up/down while hovering over the slider, the volume number will not update automatically. The same is true if you are using a userscript or browser extension or such as "Tweaks for YouTube" to add mouse shortcuts that activate while hovering over the video frame, such as mouse wheel scrolling up/down changing volume. The volume will still change, but the volume number will not update automatically.
2) Likewise, the Mute button & hotkey still work, but the volume number does not automatically update to show 0.
3) If you scroll-hover the volume slider to adjust volume, the volume 'memory' where YouTube Music attempts to use your last volume level (i.e. the volume level from your last session when you open a new page) will actually use the last volume number that was input - not whatever the slider was scrolled to last. So, if you set the volume number to 12, scroll-hover the volume to 22, then close the page & open a new one, the volume level from 'memory' will be 12, not 22.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix this behavior in the script, because it's so minor. It's really more of a quirk that you just work around. Personally, I find myself just always using the volume number or dragging the volume slider so that it always works perfectly for me. This probably works for me because I usually leave my volume level at a static value while listening. And the music on YouTube Music is typically normalized pretty well, with the same volume levels across songs, so there isn't really a need to adjust the volume other than to occasionally mute.

Elgemp4Author
§
Posted: 2022-11-22

Awesome work. I have always wanted this feature on YouTube Music (and YouTube itself, although this userscript is only for YouTube Music, of course).

To new users, just a couple notes on quirks & bugs so you can work around them:
1) The volume slider still works, and the number input box created by this userscript will automatically update to show the new volume level set by the slider BUT ONLY IF YOU DRAG THE SLIDER. If you use the mouse wheel to scroll up/down while hovering over the slider, the volume number will not update automatically. The same is true if you are using a userscript or browser extension or such as "Tweaks for YouTube" to add mouse shortcuts that activate while hovering over the video frame, such as mouse wheel scrolling up/down changing volume. The volume will still change, but the volume number will not update automatically.
2) Likewise, the Mute button & hotkey still work, but the volume number does not automatically update to show 0.
3) If you scroll-hover the volume slider to adjust volume, the volume 'memory' where YouTube Music attempts to use your last volume level (i.e. the volume level from your last session when you open a new page) will actually use the last volume number that was input - not whatever the slider was scrolled to last. So, if you set the volume number to 12, scroll-hover the volume to 22, then close the page & open a new one, the volume level from 'memory' will be 12, not 22.

I wouldn't bother trying to fix this behavior in the script, because it's so minor. It's really more of a quirk that you just work around. Personally, I find myself just always using the volume number or dragging the volume slider so that it always works perfectly for me. This probably works for me because I usually leave my volume level at a static value while listening. And the music on YouTube Music is typically normalized pretty well, with the same volume levels across songs, so there isn't really a need to adjust the volume other than to occasionally mute.

Hello, thank you very much for your feedback I'll look into those minors bugs and will soon release an update. I usually don't scroll to change the volume or use shortcuts so I didn't notice those bugs.

Sign in to post a reply.