Greasy Fork is available in English.

Affinity to You

Shows the "Affinity to You" % that all users who have commented on any topic on MAL have with you!

< Відгуки до Affinity to You

Question/comment

§
Опубліковано: 08.08.2022

(Reposting after posting on the wrong script page)
Hello,
Any particular reason why you didn't code for displaying affinity on the users page. Is it a privacy issue, or unachievable objective, or something just personal?
I ask because I don't visit forums much but I am interested to find people who are close to my affinity from the users page occasionally when I visit MAL.
I was planning to take bits of your logic and apply for my personal use, I would not publish it. I am just curious if there is difficulty to achieve that for the users page so that I do not waste my time. Thanks!

§
Edited: 08.08.2022

(Replying to your response)

By privacy issue, I meant whether it would be unethical to have the affinity display on the findusers page. I don't know whether that page can return all users on MAL and someone scraping all secondary data from there. In that way I was thinking whether it would be a wrong thing to add affinity display there. Thanks.

hacker09Автор
§
Edited: 08.08.2022

@Ganjadevashree Samrat

It's pointless to add the affinity % to the user profile page since the affinity to you already exists when you open any users profile page...

It's easily possible to modify the script and make it stop working on the forums, and instead work on pages like this one for example if that's what you want to know
https://myanimelist.net/users.php

Btw this script only works on forum pages, not on the users profile page...

Also none of my scripts has any privacy issues, because they don't do and don't access anything they shouldn't.
No, public information is public information no matter where you add it to.
If that was unethical then it would be unethical for me to show the affinity% of users who commented on a forum topic, so far nobody ever came to me complaining about that, neither came ask me to make the script never show their affinity% to anyone who uses this script.

All users usernames and profile pages are public information as well, that is why mal doesn't event have an option to disable their affinity % or hide their profile or usernames from everyone.

MAL doesn't like fetch requests though so I would suggest you to use the Jikan API for that.
You would have to add a delay to each request so that you don't get rate limited, banned or blocked.
MAL has more than 30k users, so it would take you days to create a DB containing all mal user names.
And I also don't know whether that page can return all users on MAL and somehow would be possible to get all secondary data from there.

I've already thought and discussed more in detail about getting all MAL user names somewhere on this page I think
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=663149&show=200#msg60876615

Опублікувати відповідь

Sign in to post a reply.