pause all the tings

pauses playing media in all tags

< Feedback on pause all the tings

Question/comment

§
Posted: 03-04-2022
Edited: 03-04-2022

As straightforward and toilet flush simple of a concept as this is, I can't for the life of me find any examples of a solution for the simultaneous playing/resuming every friggin media player, be it audio or video (i.e., "all the tings") when opening my browser 9which obviously is picking things up where I had previously left off) with the exception of this here script and a Firefox addon called Gobstopper. Gobstopper works exactly as needed but sadly, despite its Github page suggesting that it should work for all modern browsers, it's only packed for FF and when trying to upload it to any Chromium-based browsers, I get some errors about the lack of a manifest, immediately placing it outside the scope of my know-how. That said, I sure as shit hope this works as advertised, as the other couple of "pause all HTML5" scripts that I've tried thus far have been a big ol' FAIL. if this one succeeds where they bit it, I'll report back and change the rating to reflect much deserved positive feedback. TIA, fingers crossed...

§
Posted: 06-06-2024
Edited: 06-06-2024

This is a million years old and I'm not sure if the script has been maintained or not but in case anyone stumbles across the above comment and are like, "I know, me too!" - I found one browser extension that does exactly what I was looking for. Resuming playback across all players is a bit spotty but I was really after the ability to stop all players with a single button (usually because I opened a browser which resumed the previous session and with it, any media tabs simultaneously start playback. I want auto-start normally but wish browsers would suspend the feature when resuming a session). Anyway, the add-on/extension is called Gobstopper and it's only available on Firefox or browsers forked from FF, however I contacted it's author and he was awesome and provided the files necessary to get it working on Chromium-based browsers as well. I offered to post it to the Webstore for him but he never responded to that part of my message, so I don't feel right publishing it or posting publicly but if anyone is in need of what Gobstopper provides to Gecko-based browsers for Chromium-based browsers, feel free to get in touch or respond here and hopefully I'll see it and be able to help you out.

PS - it would seem that the modified for Chromium-based browsers version will stop working once manifest v3 extensions are the only kind of extensions allowed but until then, Gobstopper works for Chrome/Vivaldi/Edge/Brave, etc., etc..

PPS - FVCK Google and Manifest v3

Sign in to post a reply.