Greasy Fork is available in English.

Zoom and crop YouTube videos to fill screen height

Removes letterboxing by cropping the left and right edges off of full-screen YouTube videos and zooming to fill the screen height.

< Părere la script-ul Zoom and crop YouTube videos to fill screen height

Recenzie: Bun, script-ul merge

§
Postat în: 16-12-2020
Editat în: 16-12-2020

Great job! Works just as expected and makes watching 16:9 videos on a 16:10 monitor ever so slightly more comfortable.

The only improvement I could think of would be hiding the button while not in fullscreen mode, as it seems to do nothing, but that's really just nitpicky to the max.

Unless zoom not working outside of fullscreen is a bug, in which case, uh... this is a bug report.

uxamendAutor
§
Postat în: 08-02-2021

Thank you for your feedback. :)

I think you may have found a usability bug.

Zoom and crop outside of full screen defaults to a 16:9 crop. If the video is already 16:9, it will look as though nothing much is happening. But if you load up an 18:9 video, you should see a difference between zoom on and zoom off. If you don't see a difference on an 18:9 video, then it is broken.

You can configure it to crop to a narrower aspect like 16:10, or to crop it to the same aspect ratio as your screen. This is documented on the information page for the script. Look for the words "player_aspect".

It's on my to-do list to add a more user-friendly configuration mechanism, rather than telling people to change variables in the script itself, but don't hold your breath waiting, because it will probably be ages before I get around to doing that.

I'll make a note to think about ways to improve the UI for this feature, because "seems to do nothing" is not a good experience.

§
Postat în: 09-02-2021

Ahh, I didn't think to look into the script itself, that explains it. Thanks for the heads-up. Just tested it on an LTT video and can confirm it works even in while not in fullscreen. I don't even remember what my expectations were, but seeing how nothing looked different when clicking it I thought it was broken.

Perhaps you could show a popup when clicking the button doesn't do anything, as the aspect ratio is already matching the monitor's? Or alternatively, disable the button when it knows it won't do anything (maybe with a tooltip).

Also, very minor aesthetics suggestion: it'd look smoother if you put a transition:0.5s over the video player's size. That's just a random thought though.

Postează un raspuns

Autentifică-te pentru a posta un răspuns.