GBookDown - Download Google Books

Saves all available Preview pages from a Google Book as PNGs

< Feedback on GBookDown - Download Google Books

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2016-02-18
Edited: 2016-02-18

I must appreciate your work

First of all, a big thanks for taking interest in this project.
After user-scripts.org died, there has been a tremendous disconnect between the script users and writers.
The gap is finally closing down. Thanks to GreasyFork...

Coming back to this script:
It has been a tremendously new approach to solve the problem of saving gxxglx bxxks.
The idea of downloading pages in the background and zipping them is very smart and ingenuous.

But, besides lauding the author, I would also suggest subtle improvements that can make it even more efficient.

1. Individual pages should have a download button, like it was with the earlier scripts (which do not work with current Gxxx Bxx API). Users should have the freedom to save the pages that are necessary.
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/2719-google-book-downloader-foxyspeed
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/12822-google-book-downloader-foxyspeed

2. The current UI is excellent for touch-screen devices. But, a sleeker/thinner UI (with smaller fonts) and located at the left-bottom area (near "About this book" or "Terms of Service" area..

3. There can be a 'settings' area as with this script. The settings should allow users to select the required resolution
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1682-google-hit-hider-by-domain-search-filter-block-sites
There should also be options to choose between Touch-friendly (larger font) or Sleek interfaces.

Thanks again..

copyMisterAuthor
§
Posted: 2016-02-19

Wow, thank you for such a comprehensive comment, DJwa163!
All of your suggestions make sense and I agree it would be nice have them implemented.
I don't know when I'll have much free time again but I will try to come back to this script as soon as possible.
Again, thanks for such a nice and useful feedback.

§
Posted: 2016-02-20
Edited: 2016-02-20

Thanks so much for your work! I was forced to use the browser, change proxies and extract the pages from the cache since the previous script stopped working.

I agree with everything DJwa163 wrote. The pages being zipped is a brilliant idea. The greatest problem for me is the resolution - although I can’t write code, I tinkered with it and change the value in line 177 from 1280 to 1600. This gave me the highest resolution available, a thing I also did with GB Downloader back when it worked.

The other thing is downloading individual pages, or page range. With limited preview, GB will never display about 15% of the pages. I’ve got a small program that my girlfriend wrote for me, when I run the page source file saved as txt through it, it shows me which pages will never be displayed (the 15%), so I can try and find them elsewhere. As for the available pages, in my experience one session of browsing/downloading will get you about 10% of the book, and you can only change your IP so many times in a day (I think 4-5 times) before the rest of the pages won’t show up any more. Then I must wait a couple of days before I try again and grab the rest.

Again, thanks so much for doing this, you saved me many hours.

§
Posted: 2016-02-21
Edited: 2016-02-21
§
Posted: 2022-04-13

It's cool, thanks! It works, and I'm happy to know I'll be able to download books. I like reading so much, but when it comes to writing, it's another story. I often use the help of services for phd research proposal and other college papers. The company I apply to is trustworthy, and provides excellent papers.

Sign in to post a reply.