Greasy Fork is available in English.

Youtube Anti Shorts

shorts is a shit, fuck you youtube

< Feedback on Youtube Anti Shorts

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 23.06.2023

Hey and thanks for a very good script. 'Redirect shorts URL to default URL' seems to get stuck in an endless page refresh loop. Please fix this issue.

Anong0u0Author
§
Edited: 23.06.2023

Could you please describe the problem in more detail?
For example, how to reproduce it?

§

It only seems to be an issue if I'm logged in.
http://www.youtube.com/shorts/kO-uYYlKnm4

When I type in this Short video URL, the script seems to be trying to do the redirect but then my browser goes into an endless refresh loop and I have to close the tab.
I've tested this with only this script running, just be be sure it wasn't another scripts making a conflict.

Windows 10
Chrome v114.0.5735.137
Tampermonkey v4.19.0

Anong0u0Author
§

Sorry, I tested for half an hour in my environment, when I click on the shorts, it always instantly redirects to the normal URL.
I cannot reproduce the situation you described.
I think this problem not be caused by the script.
Are there any other interfering factors in your environment that might be causing the script to not function properly?
Or, which extension do you have installed that could be causing Shorts to redirect back to the Shorts URL from the normal URL?

§

The script works without any issues when I log-out of Youtube, I've tried many things and it seems to work fine in Firefox. I really hate shorts and nearly never watch them, so it's really not a big issue :D They also never show up when I do a search because both this script and another self-made script always hide them.

§
Posted: 16.07.2023

Actually, I'm currently experiencing the opposite, It won't work for me when I'm logged in on Firefox, but it WILL work in Chrome when I'm logged in. It works completely fine on Firefox if I'm not logged in.

I don't know if you'll be able to fix it though, because the problem is a result of YouTube now redirecting to the short URL scheme if you try to watch a short with the normal URL scheme (where the script is supposed to redirect to). I noticed this problem before even finding this userscript, as i was trying to do it manually, and it would always redirect to the short URL scheme if I tried to. This likely explains the endless refresh loop, because the script is trying to redirect, then YouTube tries to redirect back, etc etc.

But yes, it strangely doesn't redirect to the short URL specifically when I'm logged out or if I'm logged in on Chrome, and for some reason it's the same but with Firefox for Morten79. My theory is that YouTube devs tried to put out some fix to prevent anyone from viewing shorts without being in the stupid shorts view, but messed it up somehow, so it doesn't redirect in all cases. And for some reason, that's based on whether we are logged into the browser that we use the most... (I'm assuming Morten79 mainly uses Chrome, and I mainly use Firefox). And for some reason, it doesn't happen for you Anong0u0... (lucky!!)

I would've assumed that it was related to cookies or something like that, but the same issue happens when I try it in private mode on Firefox... Regardless, I hope they don't make it redirect for everybody anytime soon!!!

Anong0u0Author
§
Posted: 17.07.2023
Edited: 17.07.2023

I tested on my main browser (chrome) and other browsers (edge, firefox) and tested both ways (logged in, not logged in). But redirect still works perfectly in all environments.
So I can't fix this problem, sorry :(

Win10 21H2
Chrome v114.0.5735.134(64bit)
Edge v114.0.1823.82(64bit)
Firefox v115.0.2(64bit)
Tampermonkey v4.19.0

§
Posted: 15.08.2023
Edited: 15.08.2023

It did happen in Firefox when I was in Private Browsing mode. Keep in mind that this is part of their A/B testing.

Sign in to post a reply.