Youtube - Restore Classic

If youtube is in the new 2017 YouTube Material Redesign, automatically restore classic view

< Feedback on Youtube - Restore Classic

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 06. 09. 2018

Script and Youtube slowness

First of all thank you for the script.

Youtube today decided to force on me a new layout (even newer than polymer afak as this one looks even clunkier and thicker) and I decided to try your script and it works perfectly!

Just one thing, It seems that after I installed the script YT loads more slowly, especially if from a video I click on the YT logo and go back to the home. but I noticed the slowness only on YT. Am I the first to notice something like that?

Does the script first loan the new theme and then replaces it with the old one or simply replace the layout without loading the new one first? I ask because I have a script to use the old layout on reddit and by first loading the new them and then replacing with with the old one, it causes a 1 or 2 secs of lag, especially when opening many tabs.

My connection is hiccuping today, so it could be that, however I decided to write this ticket because the slowness happens only on YT and it seemed to have worsened since the installation of the plugin.

I am on FF 62.0 Linux 64 bit running the script with Greasemonkey 4.7. If you need more info or if I can help you to find out whether what I notice is caused by the script or not, please let me know.

Again thank you for the script.

CptmathixAuthor
§
Posted: 07. 09. 2018

Hey wovijar,

The only thing that this script does is setting a cookie that tells youtube to load classic youtube. I do not replace the layout myself. Since a cookie is saved by the browser, classic youtube will still be loaded after disabling the script (until you clear your cookies)

Can you test if you still have the 2 second loading after disabling the script? If this is not the case and my script is indeed causing lag, can you press CTRL+SHIFT+J (A debugging console should appear) and check the output of "current PREF cookie: *****" and how many times you see it printed? (You should only see this printed once and clicking the youtube logo should not print it again)

§
Posted: 15. 09. 2018

Cptmathix, sorry for the late reply and thanks for explaining how the script works. Everything is fine now, so it was a false alarm derived from my bad connection.

Sign in to post a reply.