Greasy Fork is available in English.

Revert YouTube Layout - Simple Version

Revert to the old layout where comments appear under the video on the left.

< Feedback on Revert YouTube Layout - Simple Version

Review: OK - script works, but has bugs

§
Posted: 2024-04-13

This works great for me under certain conditions.

Good

If the youtube player is set to theater mode. The layout looks as expected.

Not so good

I noticed that when I changed the player size to default mode, the layout went kinda crazy as the review from 51cakes describes. The layout is wonky enough to where I could not switch back to theater mode (button was no where to be found). To fix this I disabled the script, reloaded a video, switched the player back to theater mode, re-enabled the script and it works great after that.

Closing

I'm not a javascript guy but to me it seems like the script could be modified to handle default mode too.

Thank you for writing and sharing :)

hodevAuthor
§
Posted: 2024-04-18
Edited: 2024-04-18

hey @zakkhoyt thanks for the detailed response here.

I am still unable to reproduce this on my system (using Chrome). Actually, it seems like after even disabling this script, my YouTube layout has reverted to the old layout, so not sure if they are going to be reverting this permanently or not. Hopefully they are and this script isn't needed.

From looking up cases on Reddit - it seems they are still A/B testing the new layout - and I haven't seen anyone say they like it so hopefully they won't roll out this change going forward.

If my layout reverts back to the 'new' layout, I'll be able to relook at this issue, but for now, because my layout is on the default 'old' layout, I can't even debug the issue 🤯

Thanks for your detailed response, if I get the new layout again, I'll try to debug it.

Sign in to post a reply.