Greasy Fork is available in English.

YouTube Volume Curve Designer

Customize the volume increasing curve for subtle sound tweaks and maximum volume boosts.

< Feedback on YouTube Volume Curve Designer

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2020-12-15

Some questions and words on your formula displayed, which doesn't tell the users much of the fact:
The volume gain is just simply as V' = V*(G%), where V' is only displayed as increased in percentage points (e.g., G = 1.1 only means increase all the volume by 10%), while with no any other indication provided, so why not applying other actual and accurate gain for instance, gain by logarithm (dB) etc. which is more meaningful and natural?

The "power formula"/exponent part is also hard-to-guess that isn't tell you, which volume: the gained one or the original one, it is applying to. But the story doesn't end here that the formula are actually negatively correlated (the actual E should be in decimal and < 1) to the volume level, instead of what the displayed formula (volume^E) means to power UP the whole volume curve when E is > 1 as of the input, I supposed?

Any rounding for the input more than 1 decimal place?

knoaAuthor
§
Posted: 2020-12-15

Yeah, to be honest, I am quite interested in such logarithm theory behind this script though, the dB unit is far from popular or familiar with people at least in Japan. More accurately, many Japanese people may have heard of "dB", but most of them can't explain nor have an idea about the numbers.

We are not all severe mathematicians, and I suppose most users can understand what the "Actual volume(%)" chart and its numbers mean, or behave. I can even remove all the number inputs and just add the sliders labeled like "Loudness" or "Curve".

The order of "Gain" and "Exponent" is better to be opposite, because the actual calculation is in such order, that's a nice suggestion. But... the current order is still rather intuitive to operate with, in my opinion. The gain has the primary domination in the context. It's a tough issue, I know, none of the mathematicians agree and maybe even usability professionals will be divided with their opinions. (I hope the majority is on my side)

Anyway, these numbers are rounded on display, but the actual volume numbers have precise numbers. Or, do you mean that you want to input "1.75" or something?

§
Posted: 2020-12-20
Edited: 2020-12-20

@knoa thanks for your clarification! Just keep the script intuitable to layman is fine ^o^ not forcing you to do any hard work and I just find my own way then... ;)

Loudness level gain volume perception dB factor volume conversion ratio gain level in decibels formula dB field quantity energy size power voltage damping convert to factor attenuation amplification acoustic intensity cause sound pressure effect volume factor ratio voltage gain power loss level decibel dB - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-loudness.htm

dB calculate - decibel calculation dB calculator voltage power ratio sound pressure level matching dBA SPL sound pressure intensity ratios converter thd percent % audio engineering impedance matching bridging - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db.htm

FUN Fact: My country force and test us at the senior secondary by asking us in MC and need to changing the subject of a formula...

knoaAuthor
§
Posted: 2020-12-20

Nice references. (๑'ᴗ'๑)

I also have this one. (it's in the code)
https://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/volumecontrols.html

§
Posted: 2021-01-06

@kona.jp An unconvincing truth was recovered that there is still like 0.3-5 volume out even the no. of bar chart is showing 0, so you should sightly adjust the parameter to let all the zeros are displaying some number and preventing negative value input... :P

§

oh and one thing on https://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/volumecontrols.html is that I believe YT is having some sort of volume normalisation that need to bypass...?

knoaAuthor
§

hmm, I understand the rounded decimal numbers issue, but I have only a messy solution for it.

YouTube does some normalization and you can find it on the statistics panel by right-clicking the video.

knoaAuthor
§

After some trial, it got better. Thank you. 🥳

§
Posted: 2021-01-07

真実はいつか現れるもの(●´ω`●)ゞエヘヘ

Sign in to post a reply.