Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Block unwanted sites from your Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage.com, Bing and Yahoo search results. v2.2.8 2023-07-19

< Feedback on Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2017-12-15

Hit hider stopped working

Google hit hider recently stopped working and sidebar does not show up.

§
Posted: 2017-12-15

Hi Rahim, which extension are you using -- Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, or Violentmonkey?

I did just update the script 2 days ago to fix a problem with Violentmonkey, so if you haven't updated it recently, please check that version and let me know if the problem continues.

§
Posted: 2017-12-20

I'm using Greasemonkey. The sidebar is still not showing.

§
Posted: 2017-12-20

By "the sidebar" do you mean the Manage Hiding button, and the dialog that displays when you click it?

Could you check the Browser Console for any script-related error messages. To best do that:

(1) Open the Browser Console from menu > Web Developer or Tools > Web Developer, or Ctrl+Shift+j (Mac: Command+Shift+j)

(2) Click the garbage can in the upper left corner to clear the current messages

(3) Leaving that window open, switch back to your search results page and reload (Ctrl+r or on Mac Command+r), then switch back over to the console and check for error messages. Ignore the blue triangle style warnings and look for other errors.

Anything?

§
Posted: 2017-12-21

I have the same problem 'Browser Console' says "missing ; before statement" this happens with Firefox using Greasemonkey as well as Violentmonkey but doesn't happen on Vivaldi using Tampermonkey

§
Posted: 2017-12-21

Hi scorchedsun, is there a page/script name and line number on the right side of that error which might help zero in on it?

Could you give me a sample URL where the script doesn't work? By that I mean, for example (URL I get when using Firefox's Search Bar):

https://www.google.com/search?q=puppies&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Also, in case my changes broke compatibility with another popular script or extension, do you use anything else which modifies the content or layout of search results?

Thanks for helping me track this down.

§
Posted: 2017-12-22

"line number" is this it? 764:6 when I click on it it highlights this 'async function updtpref(e){' line.... my firefox version is 51.0.1 I have so many extensions should I try to disable them? thanx

§
"line number" is this it? 764:6 when I click on it it highlights this 'async function updtpref(e){' line.... my firefox version is 51.0.1 I have so many extensions should I try to disable them? thanx

Thank you for the line number. I will look into it.

Why Firefox 51 instead of the Extended Support Release of Firefox 52??

With such an old Firefox, maybe it would be better to use an older version of Greasemonkey and possibly an older version of the script.

You may first want to go into about:config and disable automatic extension updates (double-click extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault to set it to false). With that setting, Firefox will show a list of available updates on the Add-ons page from time to time rather than auto-updating your extensions and user styles.

To install Greasemonkey 3.11 (last version marked compatible with Firefox pre-52): https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/versions/?page=1#version-3.11

To reinstall version 1.8.3 of this script: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1682-google-hit-hider-by-domain-search-filter-block-sites?version=233081

§

I get the following errors:

13:52:17.482 Use of getUserData() or setUserData() is deprecated. Use WeakMap or element.dataset instead. requestNotifier.js:64
13:52:17.848 SyntaxError: missing ; before statement search:57
13:52:18.150 Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead. filter.jsm:453

I am using Greasemonkey Version 1.14.1. The manage hiding button as well as the "block" button next to links both do not show up.

§

Hi Rahim, the second message --

13:52:17.848 SyntaxError: missing ; before statement search:57

-- seems to be the one most likely related to GHHbD but the line number is in the middle of a comment, so that's strange. Perhaps some lines are not counted, but I can't figure out what it refers to.

Greasemonkey Version 1.14.1 is very old now and I am not testing in that version. Could you try rolling this script back to version 1.8.3, which was the last version before the major changes for Greasemonkey 4.0: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1682-google-hit-hider-by-domain-search-filter-block-sites?version=233081

§
Posted: 2017-12-23

Installing that version seems to have fixed it. Thanks so much for the help!

Sign in to post a reply.