Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feature request

About: Google: Direct Links for Pages and Images
I used to be a user of this script which practically is the same in function:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/3187-google-images-direct-link

However, the developer discontinued updating the script.
What I liked about this one so much more than all the others is that the source links on the bottom of the thumbnails worked as a direct link to the webpage for the image.

I am wondering if this could be added, or is it already (judging by the script name) a feature?

Comments

• I've already added this feature for myself for some time. :P

Just now I published a new version with it. Enjoy~

• edited January 11 Firefox
    Thank You mad_muffinz for reporting about the old script not working

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You VA for updating it
  • Thanks!
    A small thing: the font is a bit big.
  • Thanks! A small thing: the font is a bit big.

Yep, it could be a little hard to achieve consensus on the UI. But that helps to click the bar, especially with a touchpad (I use mac). Just search for "font-size" and "line-height" in the script, delete those lines or customize it. ;-)

• Thanks! A small thing: the font is a bit big.

How about keeping the new bar height (larger), and use the original font size (small)?

• Ok, now the latest version use the original size for the thumbnail info-bars. You can change their heights by modifying the "line-height" value in the script.

• I am glad the text is back to the original.
    I was kind of thrown off by how big it looked
  • There is one feature that google-images-direct-link had which is missing from this script: clicking on an image or a bar would open the image or the web site respectively, instead of the usual google popup. This is not a huge issues since middle-clicking still works as desired (albeit in a different tab), but I would prefer it worked for opening in the current tab as well.
  • There is one feature that google-images-direct-link had which is missing from this script: clicking on an image or a bar would open the image or the web site respectively, instead of the usual google popup. This is not a huge issues since middle-clicking still works as desired (albeit in a different tab), but I would prefer it worked for opening in the current tab as well.

I'd keep the popup. You can modify the code on line 63-66 to this:

var removeReferrer = function (a) {
      a.setAttribute('rel', 'noreferrer');
      a.setAttribute('referrerpolicy', 'no-referrer');
      // Open links in the current tab page.
      a.setAttribute('target', '_self');
      a.addEventListener('click', function (event) {
        event.stopPropagation();
        return false;
      }, true);
    };

• Why not add a configuration "page"? Choices are good!
  • Why not add a configuration "page"? Choices are good!

Well, GreaseMonkey does not provide such functionality. What I can do is to add an item into the right-click menu, or to make some switches in the current tab page. Both are not easy to disable (and enable again).

I guess this script will not be updated for a long time again (because it is quite stable). So you can keep this one and create a new one with your modification, and wait for the next update.

• Can it be, that this script did already stop working again?
    I see no difference with it.

Google changed its image preview, though, making a new feature which is nearly the same as with the script.
    If I click an image now after a google image search, there opens a preview which uses half the screen size. There is a button to go to the link of the image, one to go to the full view and one button to share the link to this new Google's preview.
    It is one click more than the script to open the full view, but now I can easy navigate with arrow left and right in the previews. Not too bad maybe.

Still I would prefer the direct opening of the image. Possible?

• VAVA
    edited February 8 Firefox

@franc Yes. See my comment above.

• After updating to the latest version, naturally the feature was lost. I tried to modify the code again but either I did something wrong or the script stopped working altogether due some new google changes. Nevertheless, I'm not sure how practical it is to modify the code in every new update for the average user, so maybe an option to the right click menu is really the way to go since seemingly there's enough demand for it. That is, if it's not much of a hassle/work for you of course.
  • After updating to the latest version, naturally the feature was lost. I tried to modify the code again but either I did something wrong or the script stopped working altogether due some new google changes. Nevertheless, I'm not sure how practical it is to modify the code in every new update for the average user, so maybe an option to the right click menu is really the way to go since seemingly there's enough demand for it. That is, if it's not much of a hassle/work for you of course.

I just figured out a simple way to enable this feature without much trouble: just open the webpage https://ipv4.google.com/#x-option:open-inplace and open https://ipv4.google.com/#x-option:no-open-inplace if you want to cancel it. (unreleased)

Also I observed that this functionality (open in current tab) can be delayed when the page is loading. Haven't found out the solution yet.

• Open in another tab functionality also seems unstable while the page is loading. I think the script mentioned at the top handled it more smoothly, maybe check how it did it?
  • edited February 25 Firefox
    VA said:

I just figured out a simple way to enable this feature without much trouble: just open the webpage https://ipv4.google.com/#x-option:open-inplace and open https://ipv4.google.com/#x-option:no-open-inplace if you want to cancel it. (unreleased)

I didn't get that. Opening the first link doesn't seem to have an effect in google image searches. Unless you meant to use the google bar opening in that page (not convenient for a number of reasons) which again doesn't seem to make a difference. I went back to the previous version + modified code for now.
  • v4.4.0 released but the effect still could be delayed before the page is fully loaded, need more work...