Plex External Player

Play plex videos in an external player

< Feedback on Plex External Player

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2018-11-20

Adding the source path to the script

Hi, I'm having trouble adding the source path to the script. The path points to the media on my external plex server. It's says add escape characters. Im new to coding can anyone help?

§
Posted: 2018-11-20

The play external button keeps defaulting to /media.

§
Posted: 2019-06-14

His. Not sure if you solved this but you'll need to escape any special characters by preceding them with a \

§
Posted: 2019-06-14

I got it working for a client PC where my library is located on an external server by installing the script "as is" and then selecting a movie and clicking the external player icon. This will fail on a client as it will attempt to use a local address on the server (it should be successful if performed on the server). When it fails you should get a "toast" pop-up telling you what it tried to play, including the address. It's that address you need to modify in the script to get it to work by changing this address to the correct address for the selected media on the server.

I setup some symbolic links to the server each named as a single letter that matches the drive letters of the server drives and with the symbolic link pointing to those drives. I put them all in a folder called symlinks in the C: drive on the client PC. So c:/symlinks/m points to the m drive on the server.

It was then a case of stripping off the m: prefix in the script (or whatever it is from the toast) and then adding the prefix c:/symlinks/m (you'll need to keep the letter, i.e. just strip out the colon really, and add the symlinks folder location as a prefix)

§
Posted: 2019-09-06
Edited: 2019-09-07

@Crispy said: I got it working for a client PC where my library is located on an external server by installing the script "as is" and then selecting a movie and clicking the external player icon. This will fail on a client as it will attempt to use a local address on the server (it should be successful if performed on the server). When it fails you should get a "toast" pop-up telling you what it tried to play, including the address. It's that address you need to modify in the script to get it to work by changing this address to the correct address for the selected media on the server.

I setup some symbolic links to the server each named as a single letter that matches the drive letters of the server drives and with the symbolic link pointing to those drives. I put them all in a folder called symlinks in the C: drive on the client PC. So c:/symlinks/m points to the m drive on the server.

It was then a case of stripping off the m: prefix in the script (or whatever it is from the toast) and then adding the prefix c:/symlinks/m (you'll need to keep the letter, i.e. just strip out the colon really, and add the symlinks folder location as a prefix)

hi, can you tell me in detail what to do?

~~it's hard for me ~~

THANKS a lot for your approach.

i found it in PlexExternalPlayer-1.12.zip\README.md

now I am able to browse the movie covers in the plex page, and watch them with BFCR & madvr, just need one click

§
Posted: 2019-09-07

@Crispy 说道: I got it working for a client PC where my library is located on an external server by installing the script "as is" and then selecting a movie and clicking the external player icon. This will fail on a client as it will attempt to use a local address on the server (it should be successful if performed on the server). When it fails you should get a "toast" pop-up telling you what it tried to play, including the address. It's that address you need to modify in the script to get it to work by changing this address to the correct address for the selected media on the server.

Thanks a lot for your approach.

now I am able to browse movies in the plex page, and watch them with BFCR & madvr, just need one click.

Sign in to post a reply.