§
Posted: 2014-11-13

Forum search

Am I missing something or is there no forum search...

The search field in the header redirects me to scripts.

§
Edited: 2014-11-13

I took the search out of the UI to have a common header. I guess I could add it to the left side.

§

To me it makes more sense that when I'm in the forum, the search box in the header searches the forum instead of script.

At least the placeholder should be changed to "Search scripts".

§
Posted: 2014-11-14

I'd prefer a more specialized search so not only differentiate between forum and scripts but also include search for libraries, users and other things when I'm on a page which corresponds to this.

§
Posted: 2014-11-14
Edited: 2014-11-14

Maybe more of a global search, with results in all different type of locations:

• scripts description
  • scripts source
  • libs description
  • libs source
  • users
  • forum titles
  • forum posts

After typing the search keyword, you'll be redirected to the search page with the top 3 results from above types. Clicking one of those types shows you all results f

§
Posted: 2014-11-15

Also possible. Best then would be with an advanced interface to limit search to some of this fields but not only one or combine search requests like "scripts and libraries of user X with code Y".

§
Posted: 2014-11-19
To me it makes more sense that when I'm in the forum, the search box in the header searches the forum instead of script.

I don't like UI that looks the same but acts different based on where you are. It's confusing.

I can do that.

§

I don't like UI that looks the same but acts different based on where you are. It's confusing.

But the profile link top right leads to forum profile.

For me, I seldom search scripts from forum, but want to search forum posts. And most of the guest users will search scripts from Greasyfork's index page or script page. It would be more useful to search forum in my opinion.

wOxxOmMod
§
Edited: 2014-11-19
I guess I could add it to the left side.

It'd be okay, I saw such implementations many times.

For what it's worth, what about a second button that will search the forum? [______][ -> ][ -> (forum) ]

§
Edited: 2014-11-19

But this is a behaviour I know from some forums. And its a very nice feature. Also the placeholder indicates what you're going to search so changing the placeholder and searching context based seems to be ok for me.

For what it's worth, what about a second button that will search the forum? [______][ -> ][ -> (forum) ]
I see the problem that you cannot search libraries at the moment which will be implemented in the future. Or you want to search the script sets ... then you will have lots of buttons and it gets really confusing.

In my opinion something like this would be good:

• A context based search with a changing placeholder ("Search Scripts", "Search Forum", "Search Code", etc.) on every page.
  • An advanced search which is reachable by a button (or like in woltlab boards by a dropdown which is displayed after a click in the search field) where you can select in whcih areas you want to search and have more options for specifying the search.
§
Posted: 2014-11-20
Edited: 2014-11-20

I think forum search is very much secondary to script search. I'd like a universal search but since the forum and main site are separate systems, it'd seems like it'd be difficult.

I've added forum search in the forum left column.

§
Posted: 2014-11-20

I can do that.
Given the search box's current size, it would barely fit in English, so I assume it wouldn't fit in other languages. Perhaps when I make the layout smarter when it comes to screen widths.

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2014-11-21
Edited: 2014-11-21

The script search box can be 2x wider easily with the current layout, there's plenty of space as far as I see it.

BTW forum search in the left pane seems natural (the header is GF-global while the left pane has all forum-specific links), and I really like it.

§
Posted: 2014-11-24
Edited: 2014-11-24

the header is GF-global

No. It conatins the forum profile link if you're in the forum.

§
Posted: 2014-11-24

Technically "Sign Out" is forum-specific too. But everything up there should be global.

Sign in to post a reply.