Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

What do you want?

§
Posted: 2014-11-13

What do you want?

Since Greasy Fork was launched in February, it has evolved from a bare-bones site to something I feel is pretty well-rounded in its featureset. Right now, I don't see any bug fix or feature request that sticks out enough to be made a priority. So I'd like to get some feedback on the direction Greasy Fork should go. Is there something that bugs you about the site as it is? Is something missing? Do you have a great idea that make things better?

Of course, Greasy Fork is open source and welcomes contributions, so if you want to take a shot at doing it yourself, that would be most welcome.

§
Edited: 2014-11-13

One thing that I always wanted, for USO too, is more statistics about my scripts.
There are for example scripts out there (didn't found one for GF yet) that count the amount of new installs/ratings since the last visit.
Also information about origins/locations and browser (with versions) might be interesting. Any information possible...

§

Number of install/ratings on your scripts since your last visit?

§

Yes, since the last time I visited my personal page.

wOxxOmMod
§

From a user's viewpoint: it'd be nice to have some tags/categories for scripts like maybe Gaming, Downloading, Ad blockers, Restyling, or any custom text. A tag cloud can be shown on the script list page in that sidebar on the right.

§
Posted: 2014-11-14
Edited: 2014-11-14

I have some Ideas and will file them as issue as soon as I have more time. But for now there are two things I'd like to see improved:

First is the search as written here: Forum Search

Second: Move the libraries from the list with all libraries to a list similar to the normal scripts. This would improve the quality for developers that want to check for possible libraries they can use. Also include the link to the libraries on a more prominent page htan the help (either as own link in the menu or have "tabs" on the script page).

§

We definitely need tags/categories.

Move the libraries from the list with all libraries to a list similar to the normal scripts.

Also to create a "library" category for this.

wOxxOmMod
§
  1. Normal code syntax highlight in forum messages - the same as in code view on a script page. As for the yellow highlight, make <mark> tag do this (currently it does nothing).
  2. Clickable link for the script name in forum topic list, it should probably point to the script feedback page.
§
One thing that I always wanted, for USO too, is more statistics about my scripts.
There are for example scripts out there (didn't found one for GF yet) that count the amount of new installs/ratings since the last visit.
Also information about origins/locations and browser (with versions) might be interesting. Any information possible...

This is still work in progress by someone else and probably fake data, but it's the kind of information I'm looking for: http://myuserjs.org/script/jgjake2/Cracked.com_Enhancer

§
Edited: 2014-11-28

You mean something like OUJS-1 (screenshot below) @.@. It would not work as well in GF, as GF only counts the number of installs through Install button and not update. After a while it will be updates will make the majority of installs.

What would be more useful considering the fantastic update stat the GF has, would be the number of unique weekly checks. Of course that would entitled temporary storage of ip, which might not be a good idea.

Personally I would like the stats in one page and the ability to compare statics of scripts. I rarely click on the stats page as it is two clicks too many and truth be told, for me it is information overkill. I just go to the profile page to check feedback and then the forum.

Two suggestions:
1) There are three rating values. Text title hint what the values mean, would be nice.

2) Ability to search through forum.

§

it would be nice if you can make the button show "installed" instead of "install this script" when the script already installed, as someone who have lots of script installed sometimes i dunnot if i have it or not.

§
Posted: 2014-11-15

it would be nice if you can make the button show "installed" instead of "install this script" when the script already installed, as someone who have lots of script installed sometimes i dunnot if i have it or not.
Impossible at the moment as this would require a list of installed scripts provided by the addon to Greasy Fork which is not there yet (and I doubt it will be implemented in the future).

§
Posted: 2014-11-15
Edited: 2014-11-15
You mean something like OUJS-1 (screenshot below) @.@.

Lol, shameless plug :) Have it already installed.

Another feature mite be to 'follow' scripts & users. Keep track of their public actions, like script is updated, description is updated, user added/deleted/updated script, etc...

§
Posted: 2014-11-19

No offense, but this site is ugly. I think it needs layout/CSS improvements more than functionality at this point. In particular, the script list should be displayed as a table. As it is, it's very hard to read.

Oh, and codemirror for the on-site editor, pretty please :)

§

Issue for tagging

Yes, since the last time I visited my personal page.

I'm not sure about this. Do you really care about the number of installs since the last visit, or is it more interesting to just say how many installs in the last 24 hours or past week?

Normal code syntax highlight in forum messages - the same as in code view on a script page. As for the yellow highlight, make <mark> tag do this (currently it does nothing).

If you make a list of the differences, I can look into why they are differences. The main site and the forum both use libraries for this.

Clickable link for the script name in forum topic list, it should probably point to the script feedback page.

I didn't do that because then it wouldn't be clear that one part of the title goes one place and the other goes to another.

§
What would be more useful considering the fantastic update stat the GF has, would be the number of unique weekly checks. Of course that would entitled temporary storage of ip, which might not be a good idea.

The current thing is unique daily updates, in case you didn't know.

Personally I would like the stats in one page and the ability to compare statics of scripts.

What do you want to see? You do get daily and total installs of all your scripts on your user page.

There are three rating values. Text title hint what the values mean, would be nice.

https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/316

§
Another feature mite be to 'follow' scripts & users. Keep track of their public actions, like script is updated, description is updated, user added/deleted/updated script, etc...

Possibly tied to script sets?

No offense, but this site is ugly. I think it needs layout/CSS improvements more than functionality at this point. In particular, the script list should be displayed as a table. As it is, it's very hard to read.

Suggestions are welcome. I know it's not the best, but I'm not the greatest in this area so I don't have any concrete plans to improve things.

Do people really need syntax highlighting on the editor? I imagine people code in Greasemonkey or an IDE or something and that would be superfluous,

wOxxOmMod
§
Edited: 2014-11-19
Normal code syntax highlight in forum messages - the same as in code view on a script page. As for the yellow highlight, make <mark> tag do this (currently it does nothing).
If you make a list of the differences, I can look into why they are differences. The main site and the forum both use libraries for this.

Well, normal syntax highlight in forum messages is the only important issue I see, the <mark> tag is mentioned only as an accompanying side change.

Clickable link for the script name in forum topic list, it should probably point to the script feedback page.
I didn't do that because then it wouldn't be clear that one part of the title goes one place and the other goes to another.

Okay, let it point to the main script page - it'll still be more useful than the currently used plain text.

the script list should be displayed as a table. As it is, it's very hard to read.

Definitely! Now the only option is this primitive userstyle (wrote it myself, table header has some issues because it's hacked out of the first row) or this userscript (there's also a userstyle based on that userscript btw).

§

Do people really need syntax highlighting on the editor? I imagine people code in Greasemonkey or an IDE or something and that would be superfluous,

I don't think it's superfluous. I don't start a big IDE for my smaller scripts with a few lines and so I edit them directly on greasyfork. So an editor would be nice. openuserjs for example uses ACE which seems to be a preferred choice to me instead of codemirror. Comparison of different Editors

the script list should be displayed as a table. As it is, it's very hard to read.
Definitely! Now the only option is this primitive userstyle (wrote it myself, table header has some issues because it's hacked out of the first row) or this userscript (there's also a userstyle based on that userscript btw).
Jason explained his reasons (why he doesn't like a table) here: https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/200

wOxxOmMod
§
Edited: 2014-11-20
Jason explained his reasons

Well, the point is that he might be the only one who thinks it's better than a table view. I've been using hundreds of forums and dozens of forum engines for 15 years and greasyfork's vanilla forum engine and its layout are among the worst in terms of UX, functionality, readability and space utilization on a desktop browser with a typical wide screen and even on a 1280px wide display. Of course it's the other way around if you use GF on a small screen device such as a phablet or a smartphone, but forcing this restriction on everyone is bad.

It'd be sane to offer the table view as an alternative theme, selectable via e.g. dropdown on the bottom of page like other mature forum engines do.

§
Posted: 2014-11-20
You mean something like OUJS-1 (screenshot below) @.@.
Lol, shameless plug :) Have it already installed.

I know. You raised an issue. But the shameless plug increased the number of installs. XD

I am tempted to develop the script to compare number of installs in a fixed time period. Just too lazy at the moment.

The current thing is unique daily updates, in case you didn't know.
Personally I would like the stats in one page and the ability to compare statics of scripts.
What do you want to see? You do get daily and total installs of all your scripts on your user page.
There are three rating values. Text title hint what the values mean, would be nice.
https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/316

I suggested weekly as oppose to daily, because I do believe it to be more useful. It will give you a guesstimation of the number of unique active users. Usually the update check gap is a week or less.

Deleted user 6214
§
Posted: 2014-11-20

Can you add the version of scripts when you search for them? If there are multiple results, its better to see the version. Many scripts were copied from userscript.com and just abandoned here. So the version should differentiate between them, when you search for a script.
And a note: when you try to send a message to a user, there are some users that you can't send messages to and they don't appear in auto-complete. Example user khaled88 doesn't not appear when I try to send a message. I don't know if its just a bug...

§
Posted: 2014-11-26
Since Greasy Fork was launched in February, it has evolved from a bare-bones site to something I feel is pretty well-rounded in its featureset. Right now, I don't see any bug fix or feature request that sticks out enough to be made a priority. So I'd like to get some feedback on the direction Greasy Fork should go. Is there something that bugs you about the site as it is? Is something missing? Do you have a great idea that make things better?

Of course, Greasy Fork is open source and welcomes contributions, so if you want to take a shot at doing it yourself, that would be most welcome.

I want a better interface!

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2014-11-26
Edited: 2014-11-26

I want quoting of an entire message to be forbidden because it's retarded.
This can be implemented by quoting just the selected text when the Quote button is pressed.
It'd be also nice if quotes would have a small button with a link to the quoted post.

§
Posted: 2014-12-26
Suggestions are welcome. I know it's not the best, but I'm not the greatest in this area so I don't have any concrete plans to improve things.

Well there are a few options available:

We should probably make a contest or something!

Sign in to post a reply.