Smoothscroll

Smooth scrolling on pages using javascript

< Feedback on Smoothscroll

Question/comment

§
Posted: 2017-08-28

Does not work

Not only does the default slow everything down in Chrome to an UNUSABLE scroll speed, but the friggin CONFIG window GM_ command doesn't even work and there is no way to configure this script without manually doing so.

winceptorAuthor
§
Posted: 2018-03-08

GM_ command been broken for a while. Sorry if it did not work for you, but you can try it again now, since I have completely rewritten the script from scratch.

You still have to edit script for config though. There are for now 2 parameters you can change:
Smoothscroll.Smoothness - default 0.5, change to 1.0 or higher for smoother animation.
Smoothscroll.Acceleration - default 0.5, change for higher acceleration

Don't increase those values too much though.

§
Posted: 2018-09-14

You need to test this better before releasing these updates. The last update is HORRIBLE. Many sites suddenly cannot scroll only down, but scroll up fine - kind of a HUGE PROBLEM.

§

And I should have given you an example:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?331678-How-can-you-use-findwindow-to-get-all-hwnds-of-windows-that-are-similar

I just downgraded back to v6 and low and behold, scrolling down works fine on that site (and others). I'm going to have to stick to v6 until you work out what is in the new detection code that is broken and making scrolling not work at all on some sites as that is very critical.

winceptorAuthor
§

Sorry if it broke something, i will check what is the problem. And i indeed need to test it better but i dont have that much time to try it in every browser.

Thank you for telling me, i will see if i can fix it or revert to older solution. Can you also tell me what browser are you using? It will help me figuring out whats the problem.

§

@"Collin Chaffin" написал: And I should have given you an example:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?331678-How-can-you-use-findwindow-to-get-all-hwnds-of-windows-that-are-similar

I just downgraded back to v6 and low and behold, scrolling down works fine on that site (and others). I'm going to have to stick to v6 until you work out what is in the new detection code that is broken and making scrolling not work at all on some sites as that is very critical.

I also stopped working. and where to get the 6 version?

winceptorAuthor
§

Can you guys see if v8 has fixed all your issues? At least it worked on vbforums.com when I tried.

§

You're correct at least that site now works. I'll keep running v8 and report back if I hit any more failures. Thanks for getting to it so quickly!

winceptorAuthor
§

@"Collin Chaffin" said: You're correct at least that site now works. I'll keep running v8 and report back if I hit any more failures. Thanks for getting to it so quickly!

No problem. I was surprised there are people who actually use it (apart from me myself). Initially this script was something i made because browser i use (Maxthon) has a very bad smooth scroll in it, so i decided to try if i can remake it in javascript myself.

Out of curiosity, why are you using this script, or why did you decide to use it in the first place? I am happy this script is used by other people aswell, but i'm just wondering what are their reasons not to use browsers built-in smooth scroll.

§
Posted: 2018-09-15

And version 8 does not work on all sites, found 5.5 works fine.

§
Posted: 2018-09-17

Actually I found that Chrome's built-in flag for "smooth scrolling" was the reason that when I visited a site I really needed at the time (powershell.com I believe) literally ZERO scrolling worked. I was so sure it was just their website I attempted to contact them, but then if I remember came across yet another site that broke with the smooth flag set, so I went looking for a replacement that not only worked but even better allowed me to speed up the scrolling and adjust smoothness - and I came across yours.

I believe I found at least one site again that does not work with v8 as @DmiTrah also found above, yet that site again worked when I rolled back to v6.

So now a question back to you. I'm very curious what issues, if any, you originally found with v6 to push you to do the re-write to begin with? In other words, what am I missing by sticking with v6 and buying by going to v8 other than a bit more efficient code? Is there THAT measurable a performance diff etc.?

§
Posted: 2018-09-18

@"Collin Chaffin" написал: Actually I found that Chrome's built-in flag for "smooth scrolling" was the reason that when I visited a site I really needed at the time (powershell.com I believe) literally ZERO scrolling worked. I was so sure it was just their website I attempted to contact them, but then if I remember came across yet another site that broke with the smooth flag set, so I went looking for a replacement that not only worked but even better allowed me to speed up the scrolling and adjust smoothness - and I came across yours.

I believe I found at least one site again that does not work with v8 as @DmiTrah also found above, yet that site again worked when I rolled back to v6.

So now a question back to you. I'm very curious what issues, if any, you originally found with v6 to push you to do the re-write to begin with? In other words, what am I missing by sticking with v6 and buying by going to v8 other than a bit more efficient code? Is there THAT measurable a performance diff etc.?

Hi, I'm using version 5.5, so it works everywhere. And where to get version 6?

winceptorAuthor
§
Posted: 2018-09-19
Edited: 2018-09-19

Reason i rewrote scroll detection is to reduce the need to redraw DOM tree. Old detection literally tries to forcibly scroll anything for a split second before deciding if it works and then actually animates the scrolling. That old way technically works everywhere but causes many redraw calls on dom tree and as such is much more intensive than calculating the scrollability of element.

Can you post any sites that have problems with scrolling when you encounter them? I will attempt to fix them asap or if it does not work, revert to older code for that part from v6.

winceptorAuthor
§
Posted: 2018-09-19

I tried to add a separate check for body scrolling, since that is whats most likely causing problems. Please report problematic websites or pages that you encounter, i will fix them ASAP.

This last change was done at 7am (before right before i went to sleep), but i shouldn't have broken too many things. Hopefully.

Sign in to post a reply.