Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

About stripping @updateURL and @downloadURL

§
Posted: 2014-07-09
Edited: 2014-07-09

About stripping @updateURL and @downloadURL

Sorry I'm not good at English :-(

In order to keep safety, GF rewrite the meta block, including deleting @updateURL and @downloadURL metas.
However, this may makes user have no way to update scripts but to re-install them.
In fact, though a Chrome user has installed Tampermonkey first, Tampermonkey can't automatically install the script, for Chrome may take over the install.
And if he wants to install the script, he has to create a new script, drag the file into the text area and save it.
But because of the script is not defined the @updateURL and @downloadURL, and Tampermonkey can't get the script's inatall url, he can't get any updates.
So, instead of deleting @updateURL & @downloadURL, why not rewrite them as the script's link?

§

If updateURL and downloadURL are not supplied, Tampermonkey will use the original URL the script came from for updates, so updates should work fine.

§
If updateURL and downloadURL are not supplied, Tampermonkey will use the original URL the script came from for updates, so updates should work fine.

But in fact, when installing a script from Greasy Fork, Chrome itself may download and install the script, not Tampermonkey, which troubles it to get the original url.

Screen shots are shown below:

§

Using Tampermonkey 3.7.48 and Chrome 35, that's not what happens for me. What versions are you using?

§
Using Tampermonkey 3.7.48 and Chrome 35, that's not what happens for me. What versions are you using?

Windows 7 (64-bit, Lang: zh-CN)
Google Chrome 35.0.1916.153 (274914) m (32-bit)
Tampermonkey v3.7.48
Seems that the same as you / \

§
Edited: 2014-07-09

Maybe there are some problems on my computer / \

By the way, I think GF should unblock the @updateURL and @downloadURL.
As you know, USO was shutted down and many users can't update the script.
Then, I noticed that GreaseMonkey can check updateURL & downloadURL one by one if the script sets more than one updateURL & downloadURL (thought Tampermonkey doesn't support).
So I think GF can set updateURL & downloadURL itself before the script's updateURL & downloadURL and point them to GF.
Firstly it makes user get the latest script from GF at first.
Secondly when GF shutted down by mistake (I saw it some days ago :-) but not very long), user can get update from other sites.
I believe not all the scripts' creaters are evil,
and from the shutting down of USO, they may try their best to keep script keep updating (that's also the reason why they choose GF),
so they may set some updateURL & downloadURL (in fact I'm just like this _(:з」∠)_ ).
That's the reason why I thought should open @updateURL and @downloadURL.
Just my advice, it's up to you. :-D

I'm tired and would like to go to bed. See you.

Sign in to post a reply.