Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

Greasy Fork needs a logo

§
Posted: 2014-05-12
Edited: 2014-05-12

Greasy Fork needs a logo

As a first step making this site not ugly, I think we need a logo. I really have no idea what it should be other than it should be related to the site's name and not confusingly similar to any other related sites. It would need to be in a format where we can edit and resize it easily. I'd do it myself, but I suck at this kind of thing.

As a bit of a "prize", I'll let whoever comes up with the best logo to pick the subtitle that appears under the big "Greasy Fork" on each page and keep it there for a month.

§
Edited: 2014-05-12

My input:

§

Hehe... you forgot the grease dripping off that fork, srazzano,

§

Oh, greasy fork. I thought gray fork.

§
Posted: 2014-05-13

Logo should also be nice for favicons at 16px

§

Concept idea (I can't implement it because Inkscape isn't working):

Coding fork icon with the branch (to the right) covered in grease (dripping wet).

§
Edited: 2014-05-13

Hey,
I thought to contibute something too.
Here's my version,
As for the banner

and a seperate Icon

§
My input:

haha, this is great!

§
Posted: 2014-05-17

scroll + tuning-fork

§
Posted: 2014-05-18

Hmm tried my hand at this Just look at this mess of a logo I made. All the Blur all of it.

§
Posted: 2014-05-21

The word "Fork" looks to me referencing to forking a repository. The icon below is how Github sees an fork. Maybe someone can use that to make a nice logo...

§
Edited: 2014-05-21

Maybe this?

§

Whatever it is, the image should be transparent - looks better on any bg people might have.

§
Posted: 2014-05-22
Edited: 2014-05-23

#ignore_this

Greasy Fork

§
Posted: 2014-05-22

My contribution

§
Posted: 2014-05-23

I don't know why I thought making the F look like a program "fork" was a good idea.
Maybe it wouldn't be too terrible if the colors were changed.

Edit: I'm not interested in the reward (not that my garbage would ever be picked), but if you need an extra hand in CSS design, I could help a bit.

§

I like Cruto's logo design (it is white, so I added a blue background):

https://i.imgur.com/P6w28kK.png
https://userstyles.org/styles/98499/greasy-fork-hitchhiker

§

I've just tried to merge images provided by @trespassersW and @jerone ...

(Note: 16x16 and 32x32 versions was edited after resize)

§
I like Cruto's logo design (it is white, so I added a blue background):

https://i.imgur.com/P6w28kK.png
https://userstyles.org/styles/98499/greasy-fork-hitchhiker

Heck, why don't we just hire this guy? ;]

§

I think so far, I prefer the idea of a literal fork, with or without grease...

§
Posted: 2014-05-26
Edited: 2014-05-26

http://i.imgur.com/zsf2tTj.png

If by chance I win, "Stab it by the fork and make it your way - Logo by caede".

I just wanted to contribute one logo, this is because when I first joined this site I wasn't sure what to think... after I joined and uploaded my first script I have found that this is my home for my scripts. Love it.

§

Whatever it is, the image should be transparent - looks better on any bg people might have.
§

My vote is for this one, like it!

Maybe this?
§
Posted: 2014-05-27

@jerone, thanks for the vote jerone!, "fingers crossed"

§

As i said above, people have styles for a reason. There will be many styles for the site with a dark bg. The logo needs to be transparent to look good on any bg. Or else it will force people to change it. Plus, why 100px font?
So far Cruto' is the best in this respect - it can look good on any bg by simple color edit of the image.
But i think the logo should be a font as it is now and just add some (transparent bg) image to it. This way people can display it the way they want it by simple font change but the image will remain. And again, Cruto' fork looks good enough to me. Take that, change the logo font (family and size, please!) and voila, no sweat!

§

who the hell is Cruto? tho

§

Who the hell is dirtyharry?
Ever used search? - Cruto
But why does it matter who is who anyway?

§

Cruto' fork is all right but i'm not sure how this will translate into a favicon.

§
Posted: 2014-05-29

润滑叉

§
Posted: 2014-05-30
Edited: 2014-05-30
Maybe this?

im for this one too, its simple and looks nice ^.^

I've just tried to merge images provided by @trespassersW and @jerone ...

(Note: 16x16 and 32x32 versions was edited after resize)

plus these icons would be perfect together, maybe with a little bit of pseudo 3D and color added (seems the icons didnt move over with the quote but im thinking everyone will get what im saying)

§
Posted: 2014-05-30
Edited: 2014-05-30

whoa :D Just found this discussion on coindence
@Grom, Leaf, Makondo:
Thanks a lot for the kind words! :) Im happy that you like it!
Since I'm already here, why not make a little bit of advertising for a good thing?
Started a new discussion over at the userstyles HQ - come by if you like :D

EDIT @Jason:
It's nice that GF gets a fancy logo (seen some nice ones here, props to you guys!)
BUT (yea here comes the but) :D
You should keep in mind that the logo you choose might also decide about how the sites is going to be styled overall - The site will look great anyway, thats for sure, but unity is really important for the complete look of a site. But I guess it will take some time until then anyway.
Keep up the great work! :D

EDIT no.2:
I think the favicon doesn't necessarily need to contain the whole logo/image/whatever :D
just as an example of what I mean:

§
Posted: 2014-05-31

I think drop the white grease... because it does not look like grease. It looks like something else...

Perhaps black grease... or a jar of Grease that is labeled Grease/Greasy... with a fork in it.

I just grabbed this off the internet as an example:

§
Posted: 2014-05-31
Edited: 2014-05-31

got some funny stuff for you guys haha :D
That would be the most pointless photo I ever took:

Also made this but don't consider it as an entry :D It's technically not well made but I thought maybe some of you guys get some new ideas from it:

§
Posted: 2014-06-01

@cruto That's awesome :):)

§
Edited: 2014-09-09

Pretty basic look.

§
Hey,
Here's my version,
As for the banner

and a seperate Icon

The word "Fork" looks to me referencing to forking a repository. The icon below is how Github sees an fork. Maybe someone can use that to make a nice logo...

You both made a really nice logo. You just needed to add them togeather. This is what i created with both of your logos togeather.

I really think this should be the new logo

This is the one i am using for my theme with credit to both of you.

This is my theme.
http://userstyles.org/styles/99055/greasy-fork-black-red-cyberationmicro-css3

§
Edited: 2014-06-01

Nice idea :D
Maybe you should try to keep the same thickness since the fork-K should be readable as a K - It gets a bit carried away from the rest of the letters

§
Posted: 2014-06-02
Edited: 2014-06-02
Nice idea :D
Maybe you should try to keep the same thickness since the fork-K should be readable as a K - It gets a bit carried away from the rest of the letters

I scrapped the whole idea of using this text dirtyharry made.
I fully recreated the icon jerone found and made my own text.

Doing so gives this a much better look.

Feel free to use this on your themes if you guys want. I don't think jason will use it but it's an idea :)
This one is designed for

Greasy Fork Black & Red (-CyberationMicro-) CSS3
http://userstyles.org/styles/99055/greasy-fork-black-red-cyberationmicro-css3

§
Hey,
Here's my version,
As for the banner

I'm not a big fan of the GitHub fork thing because it's not directly related to the site, and you'd have to know what it is already to understand the logo... What about something like this, but the drop-Y becomes the literal fork?

Also, though I like the font, the kerning is driving me nuts.

§

Really? And the 100px font doesn't? And that white paper towel with a little blue plastic fork doesn't either?

§

Well I guess I can't really win this with a logo-negative since you guys like to see and use effects :D
so yea

§

Again, the first thing people who write styles for this site will do is replace the logo which doesn't blend well. It should be transparent. Using font vs. image is better 'cause people can style it to suit. That's what i call 'user friendly' (and in good taste).

§

Again, the first thing people who write styles for this site will do is replace the logo which doesn't blend well. It should be transparent. Using font vs. image is better 'cause people can style it to suit. That's what i call 'user friendly' (and in good taste).

Thats right but as I tried to say before - the people want eyecandy most of the time instead of a simple and minimalistic look (e.g. logo negative) :/

I mostly realized that when someone pointed out that the white splash looks like some sort of body-fluid o_O

Im sure that in the end not everyone will be happy with the final choice but thats how it is :D

I will just try to come up with a couple of new ideas ;)

§
Edited: 2014-09-09

Inspired by Us.o, and to keep makondo happy. :)

@Cruto Your ideas have been great, keep them coming!

§

thanks for the people who liked it! here are the favicons too

§
Posted: 2014-06-03
Edited: 2014-06-03

#1 It wasn't just the color white. The white Grease was shaped like tadpoles if you know what I mean.
White tadpoles.

#2 A silver fork looks too much like a kitchen fork and makes it seem like a fork to serve food. Not right to me.

#3 Yellow Grease... as in a slab of butter... as in food? Not right to me.

But I think of grease as black... as in Car mechanic grease.

#4 I would like to see the fork with lightening bolts shooting out of it... to express the power of Scripts.
Or... make the fork itself look like lightning.
And on hover... the lightening could animate?????

#5 Or make the fork look electrified... like static electricity is pulsating through it.

A lot of great talented artistic work here.

§
Posted: 2014-06-03
Edited: 2014-06-03
#2 A silver fork looks too much like a kitchen fork and makes it seem like a fork to serve food. Not right to me.

It seems right to me since:

I think so far, I prefer the idea of a literal fork, with or without grease...

But I think of grease as black... as in Car mechanic grease.

I searched for "mechanical grease" and this is what mostly came up:

I mean - that really was a slab of butter but just to point out that mechanical grease doesn't have to be black (guess that only goes for the oil)

Anyway, thanks for the feedback :)

§
Posted: 2014-06-04
Edited: 2014-06-04

I was thinking more of a (three/four pronged) pitch fork... which is what I have had for my favicon already.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitchfork
A pitch fork is like a masculine "hard labour tool"... although it is used as a defense weapon also.
As such an extremely high % of Javascript writers are male... I think a pitch fork is more appropriate.
http://st.depositphotos.com/1742172/2904/v/950/depositphotos_29042927-Retro-cartoon-pitchfork.jpg

And maybe Sparks flying out from the fork.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/242/8/4/sparks_fly_by_courtneey_brooke-d48axzr.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4b/Sparks_of_fire.jpg/300px-Sparks_of_fire.jpg
http://archive.org/download/Sparks_Will_Fly/Sparks_Will_Fly.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Sparkler.JPG
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/igorgolovniov/igorgolovniov1107/igorgolovniov110700038/10033337-sparks-fly-in-all-directions-while-cutting-metal-while-cutting-metal.jpg

Or maybe a Fork in the Road Symbol.

These are my favicons that I chose from if anyone wants it.
        

You do wonderful artwork Cruto... as well as the other artist's Artwork.

§
Posted: 2014-06-05

I am in the process of migrating from userscripts.org to here due to the downtime, even though it is open on a different port I still can't update my scripts. As such, here are some of my ideas for a logo. I'm no artist but maybe it could be redone by someone with more artistic skill...

§
Edited: 2014-06-05

@Barbiegirl Thanks a lot and yea, I'm thinking the same :) Lots of creative and nice people in here - it really is a community that you wont find anywhere else

@TommySmith haha :D I like that

§

Thanks Cruto! Yours is cool - very contemporary.

§

Thanks a lot! :) man... contemporary - what a fancy word, never heard it before - gotta remember this one haha

§

How hard would it be... to draw a fork with strings of JavaScript hanging off it like, yes, of course, spaghetti? (The script doesn't need to be legible. And/or it could be 0s and 1s)

§

Well I dunno, spaghetti doesn't sound greasy enough to me... not greasy enough to be worthy of a Greasy Fork logo. Now, a code line in the shape of a burger... that'd be a good start

PS Barbiegirl, sorry to say this but your favicons look a little bit more like a red cactus to me than a fork...

§
Posted: 2014-06-06
Edited: 2014-06-06

Try to remember that it should look good as a 16x16 favicon. I don't think anybody is that 'talented' to make spaghetti look good at 16x16 ...
The red 'fork' looks more like ... http://www.damnpic.net/ (if you use my style for that site, disable it to see what i mean).

§
Posted: 2014-06-07

incase you need - PSD
http://goo.gl/D6osza

§
Posted: 2014-06-09

Hmm... interesting idea of using four instead of a real fork, but that might be mistaken for "Greasy 4000" (where K is for grand/thousand)

§
Posted: 2014-06-11

as if 4000K grands/thousands were something bad

§
Posted: 2014-06-11

+100 i vote for it, but yellow gamma, I doubt, maybe gray..

§
Posted: 2014-06-12
Edited: 2014-06-12

and another one

§

Well, now i feel like a chinese restaurant ... trying hard to find what it has to do with scripts .... ... maybe if you'd made it bigger? ....

§

then lets try this

would also work with some color - just some examples
But im actually not a really big fan of this version

§
then lets try this

Up-vote for this one!

§
then lets try this
Up-vote for this one!

That also seems the only one of this version (exept the one with the drop) that would adapt well to costum themes because everything white is transparent

§

It is? Here's the View Image page, i don't see any transparency, do you? (see the pic).

Cruto, what is it? a dirty paper dish with a plastic fork on it? with a spelled out explanation for those who don't get it? I don't like the font, too small

§
Posted: 2014-06-13
Edited: 2014-06-13
It is? Here's the View Image page, i don't see any transparency, do you? (see the pic).

Cruto, what is it? a dirty paper dish with a plastic fork on it? with a spelled out explanation for those who don't get it? I don't like the font, too small

Well I meant it more like "You can imagine white beeing transparent"
I don't really get how you know that the fork is made of plastic and that the circle is a dish that apparently... dirty?
I really try to find better ideas for the logo nearly every day and I'm also used to taking critique since this stuff is what I'm doing for my living - but you gotta be honest to yourself, that last bit of yours wasn't very constructive :/
Hope you don't think of me as an asshole or something now :D keep up the good work

That also seems the only one of this version (exept the one with the drop) that would adapt well to costum themes because everything white is transparent

I found that this might sound a bit misleading - Just to clear that up: I'm saying that my first circle logo seems to be better in usability that my coloured versions - my English ain't that well so I often don't find the right words right away :D - sorry for that

§

Sorry for the double post but I came to the conclusion that this whole thing its pretty useless. NO DAMN MATTER what logo you choose, it will look good if the page fits it - I mean that's the whole point in corporal designs right? A bit of unity. So imagine everyone having their own opinion about how the site might look in the future or how their own styles would change the appearance of it. Person one thinks of a white site and therefore says:"ooh hurt durr get away with this bright logos" - then person two goes on about the same stuff because in his opinion it will be dark (just an example, doesn't have to be color, could be shape, font, whatever)

So what if I were now about to create one that has a simple geometric form as a logo and a sleek sans serif font? It would look good, would nicelz fit in any style and would look modern.
Well the plastic fork and the grease would be away - and at this point people would eventually say that it looks too futuristic and that the damn fork is missing.

Well I think you get the point :)
I really hope for some more constructive critique and also would I like to hear peoples opinions on how they imagine the future look of this site themselves.
thanks!

§

I don't think you're an 'asshole or something', i'm kidding you. The plastic white fork on a dirty paper plate is what i see (with a grain of 'ha-ha', of course)(try resizing your image):

You're taking it too seriously, Cruto. If you continue, i'll have to use 'ha-ha' instead of periods after every phrase
I don't really care 'cause knowing Jason, he'll pick something i won't like anyway and i will change it, as usual
But so far the best - yes, IMHO - was the one grom referred to at the beginning of the thread. It's the most elegant and flexible image but i don't know how it might translate into an icon/smaller logo.

§

Cruto, I really like what you've done. Not sure what color would be best; as you mention, it depends on the page that surrounds it. Greasy Fork is pretty much default browser colours right now, with the exception of the header, and I'm very willing to change the colour of that. So if anyone has suggestions about the color combos, I'd be interested.

§

Transparent (the logo that is)! And you won't need to worry about your header color. A lot of people will make/install styles that will change the bg to dark(-er) and the white logo will be replaced with some other hand-made logos. Not very 'user-friendly'.
As i said before, the best solution (since you don't have/want any design on the site) is to have some icon logo (for instance that ^ plate with a fork on a transparent bg) and text (as a font for 'Greasy Fork'). This way people can change the font easily to suit their style - size, family, color, etc. People will love the flexibility and freedom you give them.

§

Well then I'm glad haha :D Yea sorry I'm really taking this pretty seriously :S
Because sometimes you cant be really sure if people are jokin a bit or really mean it (especially costumers) - The "no matter what logo you choose" was also not in any way meant for only the work I've done :D

What I got in mind for the possibility of fresh-site colors would be this:
http://www.colourlovers.com/business/trends/branding
Lots of nice previews on how the site+it's color-sheme looks :)
Thanks for the support!

§

Can you provide the source file for your images? (Hoping it's something GIMP can open...)

§

Sure, won't be a problem - will be at home in some hours minutes :D
EDIT: let me know if it works with gimp ;)
http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/23568394/file.html

§
... sometimes you cant be really sure if people are jokin ...

Stay on a safe side, always assume people are joking /haha/ If they're not, they'll let you know /haha/

§
... sometimes you cant be really sure if people are jokin ...
Stay on a safe side, always assume people are joking /haha/ If they're not, they'll let you know /haha/

guess you're right :D

EDIT: even if we don't find a good logo with a fork in it or something like that we could still use something like this - its pretty neutral but on the downside people wouldn't identify it as the GF logo just by looking at the image (example)

§
Posted: 2014-06-14
Cruto, I really like what you've done. Not sure what color would be best; as you mention, it depends on the page that surrounds it.

Perhaps make the text in his image transparent as well so it does match the background around it...

§
Posted: 2014-06-14

@Tommy: that's already the case :D

§
Posted: 2014-06-15
let me know if it works with gimp ;)
http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/23568394/file.html

The code in the circle doesn't show. Also, can you let me know what font face you used? It's not coming through as a text layer on Gimp.

§

I think I know the problem here - I will prepare a compatible version for you. Usually photo shops shows fonts as paths if they're not available and the code is not showing because gimp apparently doesn't apply masks to groups :0

§

@JasonBarnabe: There wo go, will work now hopefully :)
http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/29694377/file.html

§
Posted: 2014-06-16
Edited: 2014-06-16

Btw...
Greasy means this http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/greasy
And in Canada it means sleazy http://www.trailerparkboys.org/forums/index.php?topic=9535.0

Where as GreaseMonkey means Motor Mechanic http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grease monkey
It also means to Grease the Gears http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_grease_monkey_mean.

Sooo... instead of a circle I would rather see the fork inside a Text Editor with javascript bits,
or a Gear Icon with a Monkey Wrench with javascript bits.

I'd rather see thicker text.

§

@Barbiegirl:
If the text is 3D, then the logo should be 3D aswell
There are some logos that might do otherwise but thats (if well done) fitting stylistic inconsistency.
example for full 3D: http://thisisanothercastle.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/twitch.jpg

Curly fonts in gerneral are a bit too friendly/playful.
This way it gets a
+ in friendly but a
- in trustworthiness/seriousness.
The same goes pretty much for the edding-like font.

The last one/futuristic one is totally overused and was already available when dinosaurs were still roaming the earth and is also not that well made in terms of typography :( so therefore in my mind not suited for a logo in 2014.

Sorry for the load of critique D:

Maybe we should do a brainstorming in google docs about the core-meanings of the logo/site.
(also about what @JasonBarnabe was thinking when naming the site)

Like seriousness, trustworthiness, usability... and so on.
I don't really know many of those words since I'm not good with the english language haha :D

§

I think the Greasy Fork logo should have some level of creativity to it. It should have some sort of graphic rather than just letters in a cool looking font. Greasy Fork is about creative and interesting ideas for useful scripts.

§

But simple pictures won't do :( they need to be vector images to be suitable for a logo: https://www.google.com/search?q=Simple+vector+art
The slab of butter I already made was created with vectors for example

Maybe we could try 3D as well, what do you guys think?

§

3D is cool

§

meant to attach a picture - well, using a smartphone does sometimes really suck :D
Something like that maybe

§

I like the circle-fork-code logo, I'm going to try it out soon.

§
Posted: 2014-06-17

To dish or not to dish ... but please do it, i want a fav for the site yesterday!

§
Edited: 2014-06-17

Okay... it's all about what Jason wants... but I was just messin with the logo circle

Trans bg

Shadowed

Shadowed embossed 3d border

Light source

Lightspot

Cruto !

§

Hey Barbiegirl xD
Those effects are nice and all but they aren't vectors anymore... But why don't we take the barbie notes one :D I like it

§
Posted: 2014-06-18

Wasn't able to use Cruto's work because Gimp didn't open it in an easily editable format, but I recreated the idea. Gimp files are available here if anyone wants to tweak it.

As the winner of the content, Cruto chose the subtitle. Thanks!

§
Edited: 2014-06-18

Why do i see the fork on the main page tab but not on the forum tabs?

§

I'm going to style the forum a bit once I'm done tweaking the main site design.

§

Oh boy! ....

§

Hey wow I saw that great logo on gf today !
I like both Jason’s version (cute) and Cruto’s originals (stylish).
BTW I also liked srazzano’s little monkey very much (funny+cute).
Anyway the result is such an improvement !

Sign in to post a reply.