Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Block unwanted sites from your Google, DuckDuckGo, Startpage.com, Bing and Yahoo search results. v2.2.8 2023-07-19

< Feedback on Google Hit Hider by Domain (Search Filter / Block Sites)

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2019-03-26

The management pane opens slow

I have added many domains(10000+) to blocklist. The managemant pane opens slow when many domains are in the list. Can you make script that blocklist opens in another window?

§
Posted: 2019-03-26

That is large list!!

What kind of settings are you usually changing when you open the dialog?

Currently, the script calls the refreshSiteList() function as soon as you open the dialog, even if you are viewing the Home tab or Options tab. I think instead I should only build the list when you show the Block or Perma-ban tab. That doesn't sound difficult, but involves changes in several places. Or maybe I could do it in the background. Need to experiment.

§
Posted: 2019-03-27

Thanks for your reply.

I often use import/export to sync blocklist between desktop and windows tablet. The problem is importing list in tablet.

First, Management Pane opens slow Second, importing list is too slow so I can't know what time it finishes.

So can you make these process works in background? Or can you add progress bar to know how long will it take?

§
Posted: 2019-03-27

The HTML lists on the Block and Perma-ban tabs are built dynamically each time you open the dialog. I have never tested with 10,000 blocked domains, but I am sure it's slow. This <ul> design is best for interactive functionality, so I plan to see that.

The reason the list is rebuilt every time is to pick up changes made on other tabs. Maybe I could keep the list after the first build and have users refresh it manually by clicking a button if they are blocking domains in multiple tabs.

However, I think it would degrade performance of the search page if I start building the list in the background before you load the dialog. So most likely, I would do it on the first opening so there would still be a delay.

For the import, when you click Parse List for Import, the script creates an HTML <table> on the right side. Displaying large tables is one of the slowest operations in Firefox, so I will try to change that to a <ul> so it can run around the same speed as building the list for the Management Pane.

§
Posted: 2019-05-03

Cross-posting from the other thread:

@sfwf said: Hello, When the blocking list exceeds tens of thousands of lines (37000), it takes 100 seconds to open the interface. Chrome keeps popping up the window and shows no response, and the CPU takes up more than 30%, and the fan accelerates rotation.

37,000 list items could exceed the actual HTML served by Google! So obviously that's not practical to generate each time.

Perhaps as a temporary workaround, if a list has more than 1000 domains, I could defer generating it until you click a button. But the script needs a significant redesign to be able to show you what you might be looking for instead of the full list. For example, you may want to see the last 10-25 domains you added to the lists (the script doesn't currently track this), or you may want to search the list instead of having to scroll (currently there's no search other than Ctrl+f against the whole list).

§
Posted: 2019-05-04
Edited: 2019-05-04

I found an alternative, first click on Manage Hiding to close the browser tab, then reopen the page or open another Google search page, which will shorten the open time and reduce the CPU consumption.

§
Posted: 2019-05-07

I tested with 20,000 domains and it is very slow. I can speed it up by about 25-33% by improving the old code, and I'll do that in the next update. However, the browsers seem to require a lot of time to inject the list regardless of how I build it.

A possible workaround, if you have a large number of domains, would be for me to show a non-interactive list in the boxes and add a button to load the interactive list if you want to edit it.

§
Posted: 2019-05-09
Edited: 2019-05-09

Okay, apparently I needed one more day to realize the source of the problem: the script detects each <li> element added to the page and analyzes it as a search result. Skipping over list items in the block list and permaban list solves the problem. Sorry that never occurred to me before tonight! Version 2.0.6 has that one-line patch.

This should also fix the slow import.

§
Posted: 2019-05-10

Version 2.0.6 can open the panel instantly, the CPU fan is not spinning fast, thank you very much!

§
Posted: 2019-05-16

Sorry for late reply. I just updated and it works fine! Management pane opens quickly! thank you!

Sign in to post a reply.