Discussions » Greasy Fork Feedback

New comment/review method for scripts

§
Posted: 2020-05-10

New comment/review method for scripts

Greasy Fork currently uses Vanilla as a forum solution, with many customizations to enable script reviews and such. Vanilla was initially chosen as it is a mature forum solution, requiring little work for a lot of features.

The downside is that the integration between the forum and the rest of the site is not 100%. There are many things that don't work correctly, or at all, when the two are put together. As a result, Greasy Fork will be moving to a built-in-house forum solution.

The first phase of this has just been launched. Any scripts that do not have discussions in the Vanilla-based forum will now have any new discussions in the in-house forum. All previous functions of these discussions, including notifications and reviews, should be working.

Please let us know if you see any issues. Once we have more confidence in this solution, we will be migrating script discussions in Vanilla to the new system.

q1k
§
Posted: 2020-05-11
Edited: 2020-05-11

Two things,

1. please don't change the design
  2. maybe you can add official dark mode? (i don't care about this tbh)

Also, would be nice to have language preference, so any notification or link from user with different language would be shown/redirected with our preferred language.

§
Posted: 2020-05-11

The design is going to match that of the rest of the site.

Email notifications in the new forum will have the correct language.

§
Posted: 2020-05-12

https://greasyfork.org/en/discussions

That page will get lots of updates, but posting it now so you can see what the script discussions look like.

§

Move all discussions about a script in its script info page is a god idea.

About the General discussion list :

One line for each discussion? Not so comfortable to read quickly and make difference between: Script name, title discuss, etc . Maybe in 2 lines should be more readable?: One for script name Another for the Tile of the discussion etc..

§

Yeah, it'll look nothing like that in the end. I just threw something together quickly.

§

;-) so, wait and see...

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2020-05-15

github-style reactions to comments please?

§
Posted: 2020-05-21

o:)

§
Posted: 2020-05-27

I've added a Preview link to discussions made on the Vanilla forum so you can see what they would look like when converted to the new forum solution. Let me know if you see any issues.

The Preview link is at the top of the discussion, under the title, next to the script name.

§

I do not wanna be that user, that never wants the forum design to change.

(And sincerely, I do not want managing the forum to become a chore or burden to the mods.)

Still...

Please be cautious of downscaling too much the viewing experience.

https://greasyfork.org/en/forum/discussion/68810/the-script-does-not-work

Maybe this is a quirk of my browser setup, but this is what I see with current design:

and with Preview:

As can be seen, the current View gives alot more vision info:

• The sidebar is awesome! (Sure, I'll be the first to agree that everything from the Categories box and below is fluff.)
  • Seeing the thread's rating is useful.
  • Seeing avatars is entertaining.
  • Why does the discussion Title in Preview not match the current view?
  • No permalinks to individual comments in Preview??
  • I do like the directional links in Preview header (the separate link back to the feedbacks section is redundant); notice the Current view link goes back to the Info page - a quirk that Preview corrects.
  • (Not shown) The bookmark & Options icons are in the upper-right of Current.
  • etc. etc.
§

@wOxxOm said: github-style reactions to comments please?

:D https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts/issues/860

§
Posted: 2020-05-28

@Azazello said: Please be cautious of downscaling too much the viewing experience.

What I've done so far is specifically for discussions on scripts, so it's "scaled down" in the sense that it's made to fit in with the layout for that script (as you noted). I intend the non-script discussions to have a sidebar with categories and such.

• Seeing the thread's rating is useful.

That's already there (in text form).

• Seeing avatars is entertaining.

Meh, I think it's noise.

• Why does the discussion Title in Preview not match the current view?

I've fixed this to have the same title as the feedback list for that script. Note that these script discussions don't have titles.

• No permalinks to individual comments in Preview??

If by "permalink" you mean a link with an anchor for a specific comment... I've just added that.

§
Posted: 2020-05-31

I would also like to see avatars there.

Comments from new system are not showing up in "Discussions on your scripts" section.

§

I've added options to see only the discussions you've started or commented on.

§

@Pabli said: Comments from new system are not showing up in "Discussions on your scripts" section.

Fixed. It'll look a little weird if you have some scripts with the old format and some with the new, though.

§
Edited: 2020-05-31

Can you reuse the old icons for Bad/Good scripts ? It's more concise... PS: I tested to post a new comments here: 1. Greasemonkey Emulation we can't:

• add a file now
  • Add a title to the request
  • Fav/Bookmark it
§
Posted: 2020-06-04

I like... or value user icons for giving me an instant visibility for identifying users. For that purpose, I even prefer to have left sided/ right sided comment bubble styling like messaging apps.

§
Posted: 2020-06-06

You can now add attachments (images) to your comments.

§
Posted: 2020-06-06

On the Feedback page, authors now have the option to convert their script's discussions to the new format.

§
Posted: 2020-06-07

You can now subscribe to discussions to receive email notification when someone replies.

§

can u add a "close" and "lock" feature like Github? We have no control to our discussions, only the administrators have the power to do so, that's ridiculous.

§

I think that when received new reply ,Email notifications are very useful. By the way, there seems to be no Chinese feedback here yet. 我认为当我收到新的回复时,电子邮件通知非常有用。 顺便说一句,这里似乎还没有中文反馈。

§

@Smoke-N-Mirrors said: can u add a "close" and "lock" feature like Github? We have no control to our discussions, only the administrators have the power to do so, that's ridiculous.

This has been asked for a few times. If you want control over discussion on your script, specify a supportURL and use whatever platform you want. While you may act reasonably if given the power to close discussions on Greasy Fork, I don't think everyone would.

§
Posted: 2020-06-10

Seeing an image(avatar) is faster way to distinguish comments authors, then reading theirs nick-names... So I found an old design with icon more convenient too. And simple color icons(with equal size) is very laconic to. And be my will - I would rather don't change anything in old stylesheet, it just perfect for me...

If you be so kind to implement even some of this to new layout - I would very appreciate it.

§
Posted: 2020-06-11
Edited: 2020-06-11

The preview "new forum" link don't work for Reddit Enhancer : Where are its settings ?: https://greasyfork.org/fr/discussions/preview-converted/20608

PS: This discussion about "Reddit Enhancer" is full of spam: That's strange... I had flagged them without success.

§
Posted: 2020-06-12

@decembre said: The preview "new forum" link don't work for Reddit Enhancer : Where are its settings ?: https://greasyfork.org/fr/discussions/preview-converted/20608

Should be fine now.

§
Posted: 2020-06-16

I'm going to begin slowly converting the remaining discussions to the new format. If you see any issues, let me know.

q1k
§
Posted: 2020-06-16
Edited: 2020-06-16

I just saw this "new" feedback layout.. Looks terrible...

§
Posted: 2020-06-17

@q1k said: I just saw this "new" feedback layout.. Looks terrible...

It's not perfect, but it can be adjusted going forward. If you have any concrete suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

q1k
§

@JasonBarnabe said: (Quote) It's not perfect, but it can be adjusted going forward. If you have any concrete suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Make it exactly like the current one. Also I can't seem to find my feedback posts. It's not under the feedback section in the forums...

§

When I converted the old discussion to new one, is there any notifications, especially as an email to participants? I've already converted it a few days ago, but no one continues conversation or replying.

If the only way participants should notice the conversion is the message "This discussion has been closed." below the old discussion log, it should be much more highlighted and should have link to new discussion URL. And also it should be better to notify them by an email.

§
Posted: 2020-06-18
Edited: 2020-06-18

@knoa said: If the only way participants should notice the conversion is the message "This discussion has been closed." below the old discussion log, it should be much more highlighted and should have link to new discussion URL. And also it should be better to notify them by an email.

Good idea, created https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/708

§
Posted: 2020-06-22

In user pages, it'll be nice to add some date on the list of Recent comments section.

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2020-06-22
Edited: 2020-06-22

The new feedback's Post reply, Post comment forms don't respect the HTML/markdown preference in the user account settings.

§
Posted: 2020-06-23

@wOxxOm said: The new feedback's Post reply, Post comment forms don't respect the HTML/markdown preference in the user account settings.

https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/710

§
Posted: 2020-06-24

@wOxxOm said: The new feedback's Post reply, Post comment forms don't respect the HTML/markdown preference in the user account settings.

Fixed now.

§
Posted: 2020-06-24

@knoa said: If the only way participants should notice the conversion is the message "This discussion has been closed." below the old discussion log, it should be much more highlighted and should have link to new discussion URL. And also it should be better to notify them by an email.

This has been fixed. A comment is added, but I don't want to send a notification (it'd be pretty spammy to do so for every script discussion).

§
Posted: 2020-06-25
Edited: 2020-06-25

The formatting of old layout (https://greasyfork.org/de/forum/discussion/73041/x) and new converted layout (https://greasyfork.org/de/discussions/preview-converted/73041) is different. This is bad for the source code / newlines.

To the design: I like black font on white ground more, it's better readable than the new version.

wOxxOmMod
§
Posted: 2020-06-25
Edited: 2020-06-25

@"Cesar Bernard", true but the original formatting was broken anyway: the author should have used code fences:

```
foo
bar
```

Still, the real villain here is greasyfork's editor because it doesn't offer to insert these code fences. Also, no one understands what means so no one clicks it. Since GF is about code I would add two separate buttons for code named code and inline code.

§
Posted: 2020-06-26
Edited: 2020-06-26

I don't see my new comment in the the Recent Discus list and in My discs list. My comment: Mycroft Patch for Firefox 78

And i don't see a way to bookmark it too ....

Ps: I don't see it too in the User Script list: Jefferson Scher

§
Posted: 2020-06-27

i think tha's just easy to make a simple avatar

§
Posted: 2020-06-27

@decembre said: I don't see my new comment in the the Recent Discus list and in My discs list. My comment: Mycroft Patch for Firefox 78

Discussions in the new format won't show in the old list.

I don't see it too in the User Script list: Jefferson Scher

It's there, first item.

§
Posted: 2020-06-28
Edited: 2020-06-29

Problem fixed https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/718 , pls delete this comment

§
Posted: 2020-06-28
Edited: 2020-06-29

1 - "Discussions in the new format won't show in the old list...." That's a problem... But at least, can we see the notification of a reply (not by email but in the forum itself) ? 2 -"It's there, first item.": Yes. Can you add to it the last comment author name and date of the reply ?

3 - No news about bookmark in the new design ?

Ps : Here a script which (with many other functions) add screenshots in the script list. Greasy Fork tweaks: "script image in the script list (supports zoom extensions such as Imagus and Hover Zoom)"

Should be a basic function of the site: More since we have UserCSS script/userstyles in it. Should be a good way to promote it and have more user which migrate their userstyles to GreasyFork

§
Posted: 2020-06-30

@decembre said: 1 - "Discussions in the new format won't show in the old list...." That's a problem... But at least, can we see the notification of a reply (not by email but in the forum itself) ?

Old list will go away, so won't be a problem for long.

Can you add to it the last comment author name and date of the reply ?

That's already there.

3 - No news about bookmark in the new design ?

You can subscribe (and filter the list by what you have subscribed to), which is the same except you have no choice as to whether you are notified of replies.

§

All script discussions have been converted now. Next up will be non-script discussions (like this one!)

§

Highly recommend to add Title support for the new review system, it's very confuse with lot's of incomplete review text in the feedback list and hard to finger out what they were about without click to see full of them. It would be OK with a preview line if there has Title already, but it not a good idea to mixd up all commend text and only display partial of the on the list

wOxxOmMod
§

add Title

On greasyfork the titles either repeat the contents or just are too vague because the majority of the users aren't used to giving proper feedback so I'd say the new presentation is not necessarily worse.

q1k
§

make it more readable. add user avatar icons. quotes are also broken.

§
Posted: 2020-07-08
Edited: 2020-07-08

I don't see in my Disscussion list, the new one posted (in the new format): Can you add a rule for the AFP site ?.

Where i can find/follow it easily ?

Usually i can found it into different places:

§

Second item here.

§
Edited: 2020-07-08

@JasonBarnabe a dit : Second item here. In which place, menu ? I don't see the same link than the one you provided: https://greasyfork.org/en/discussions?user=8)

PS: When i am on your link, if i use links in the Menu panel, i can't find your link, but this one: https://greasyfork.org/en/discussions/greasyfork?me=comment which provide an empty list.

In fact, many links in this menu provide only an empty listing. Only these one work:

• Category> Script Discussions
  • Category> All categories

I think it's a work in progress ?

§
Posted: 2020-07-12
Edited: 2020-07-12

Other problems: 1- The "Notification Badge" is always visible (with count) . When i click on it, i don't show the notifications in a menu as before and open : https://greasyfork.org/fr/forum/profile/discussions/decembre

After that the Badge continue to show its count (no reset to 0)

2 - When adding a screenshot into a reply, we can't chose the place where it must be: before we can. 3 - These screenshot are very slow to appear (sometime need a reload)

4 - Maybe re add title on discussion should be useful. By example here: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/386259-youtube-genius-lyrics/discussions/53503 The first post was about pb to install it. Now it's fixed. And i add "SOLVED" .... But that's not so informative because we see the others sentences in it. Yes, i could open a new discussion....

§
Posted: 2020-07-13

I think you're getting confused between the old and the new. It will make more sense once the old is gone.

§
Posted: 2020-07-14

Ok ...

§
Posted: 2020-07-19

I want not only date but also time on each comment. If you consider time string is annoying, it could be gray colored or at least have a title attribute for a time string.

wOxxOmMod
§

Yeah, time is occasionally useful/essential. I suggest using GitHub's method: relative time format for recent dates like 5 minutes ago, the really old posts get just dates. The hover tooltip always shows full date.

§
§
Posted: 2020-07-28

suggest add the UserAgent icon to the new comment system also, it may be useful for finger out some problem, maybe

§
Posted: 2020-07-31
Edited: 2020-08-01

Problem when posting a screenshot:
If too big , i see no warning and when i post the reply, i have a blank page (and the reply is not posted).
If i choose the good size for the screenshot :
That's OK

Other thing (reminder of a previous post):
Just after posting the reply, i don't see the screenshot.
I need to refresh the page to see it.

PS:
The New Forum Design is fully operational now ?

§
Posted: 2020-07-31
Edited: 2020-07-31

Problem when posting a screenshot:

https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/754

Just after posting the reply, i don't see the screenshot.

https://github.com/JasonBarnabe/greasyfork/issues/755

The New Forum Design is fully operational now ?

The old forum is gone, there are still changes to be made to the new forum.

§
Posted: 2020-08-01

thanks.

§
Posted: 2020-08-12

I see the new label 'BANNED'... Nice.

JY3
§
Posted: 2020-08-15
Edited: 2020-08-16

It is hard to differentiate the quote contents from the normal text after using the new forum solution. It can only be distinguished by indentation.

§
Posted: 2020-08-19

I can't see comments made for this users:
https://greasyfork.org/fr/users/66140-altawing?sort=updated
There are for his script...

§
Posted: 2020-08-22

It is hard to differentiate the quote contents from the normal text after using the new forum solution. It can only be distinguished by indentation.

Fixed now!

Sign in to post a reply.