setMutationHandler

MutationObserver wrapper to wait for the specified CSS selector

< Feedback on setMutationHandler

Review: Good - script works

§
Posted: 2015-12-27
Edited: 2015-12-27

I get "nodes[0] is undefined" in this script (it used to work ok)

Its about this script Rotten Tomatoes Decimal Rating, where you had kindly helped me in here. It used to work great, but now I only get nodes[0] is undefined for lines 8, 14 and 21 in Browser Console (of Firefox 43.0.2 with GM 3.6).

Also, there has been a layout change in rottentomatoes today, so I've changed in lines 9+10 and 16+17 from title into data-original-title (the .audience-info div:first-child' in line 23 remains as is).

The script:

// ==UserScript==
// @name          Rotten Tomatoes Decimal Rating
// @require       https://greasyfork.org/scripts/12228/code/setMutationHandler.js
// @run-at        document-start
// ==/UserScript==

// for mouseover on "TOMATOMETER (?)" 
setMutationHandler(document, 'h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(2) > span:nth-child(1)', function(observer, nodes) {
    nodes[0].setAttribute('data-original-title', 
    nodes[0].getAttribute('data-original-title')+(' (=6 stars or higher)'));
    observer.disconnect();
});

// for mouseover on "AUDIENCE SCORE (?) / WANT TO SEE (?)"
setMutationHandler(document, 'h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(1) > span:nth-child(1)', function(observer, nodes) {
    nodes[0].getAttribute('data-original-title').replace(/([\d.]+)( stars)/, 
            function(m, s1, s2) { return 2 * s1 + s2 }));
    observer.disconnect();    
});

// for "AUDIENCE SCORE Average Rating"
setMutationHandler(document, '.audience-info div:first-child', function(observer, nodes) {
    nodes[0].innerHTML = nodes[0].innerHTML.replace(/[\d.]+/g, function(m) { return 2*m });
    observer.disconnect();
});

Why is this happening?

wOxxOmAuthor
§

I've almost immediately switched the order of arguments to nodes, mutationRecord because the observer parameter is rarely used. You can access it as this:

setMutationHandler(document, 'h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(2) > span:nth-child(1)', function(nodes) {
    nodes[0].getAttribute('data-original-title')+(' (=6 stars or higher)'));
    this.disconnect();
});
setMutationHandler(document, 'h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(1) > span:nth-child(1)', function(nodes) {
    nodes[0].getAttribute('data-original-title').replace(/([\d.]+)( stars)/, 
            function(m, s1, s2) { return 2 * s1 + s2 }));
    this.disconnect();    
});
setMutationHandler(document, '.audience-info div:first-child', function(nodes) {
    nodes[0].innerHTML = nodes[0].innerHTML.replace(/[\d.]+/g, function(m) { return 2*m });
    this.disconnect();
});
§

Thanks. But, I now get nodes[0].getAttribute(...) is null for line 17.

wOxxOmAuthor
§

Apparently the site has changed the html layout.

§

But, the selectors are correct. For example in http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars/ the

document.querySelector('h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(2) > span:nth-child(1)').getAttribute('data-original-title')

and

document.querySelector('h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(1) > span:nth-child(1)').getAttribute('data-original-title')

show the relevant texts of the two tooltips. Therefore the selectors are not the problem.

wOxxOmAuthor
§

The script works here in Chrome 49 and Tampermonkey 3.13

§

The script is supposed to make 3 changes: the two tooltips and the innerHTML on "AUDIENCE SCORE Average Rating".

So, currently the script only works partially, i.e. it makes the 3rd change (the innerHTML), in both FF and Chrome, but not the two tooltips . (I just tried out Chrome 49 and Tampermonkey 3.13).

wOxxOmAuthor
§

I don't know what they've changed but here's an optimized script that works properly:

setMutationHandler(document, '.audience-info div:first-child', function(nodes) {
    this.disconnect();

document.querySelector('h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(2) > span:nth-child(1)').title += ' (=6 stars or higher)';

var node = document.querySelector('h3.scoreTitle:nth-child(1) > span:nth-child(1)');
    node.title = node.title.replace(/([\d.]+)( stars)/, function(m, s1, s2) { return 2 * s1 + s2 });
});
§

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Sign in to post a reply.