This script will block all popup.

< Feedback on Block Popup

Review: OK - script works, but has bugs

§
Posted: 2015-09-29
Edited: 2015-09-29

Not Working In Safari

Hi,

Block Popup is very good at blocking Popups when installed in Firefox web browser, It's so good I have yet to see a Popup get past it.

However when I installed Block Popup on Safari 8.08 on Mac OS X 10.10.5 using Ninjakit and went to http://www.anz.com.au/personal/ the account login Popup appeared without me having to create a site exception rule.

I then went to a variety of other websites notorious for producing Popups and it also failed on to block Popups on those websites in Safari.

Another annoying issue is that when using Block Popup in Firefox is that when a Popup is blocked the Blocked Popup Notification NO longer appears,

I have thoroughly check all my about:config settings and all are correctly set to display the Blocked Popup Notification.

Please note that prior to installing Block Popup the Blocked Popup Notification was displayed as normal, The Blocked Popup Notification is also displayed when Blocked Popup is disabled.

I hope that Block Popup can be updated as soon as possible so it can work well with Safari and also resolve the Blocked Popup Notification issue.

§
Posted: 2015-11-13

Hello, I'm sorry to tell you, I think you may be mistaking an existing popup blocking script or extension you've added to your browser. If you take a look at the code for this user script you will see that this literally does nothing but prevent new windows/tabs from being opened by the current one. There is no functionality for notifications or any type of site exceptions system offered with this.

And I just want to further say that, user scripts are designed around the original greasemonkey engine which is designed for Mozilla, chrome (though being a different engine usually *can* get by using the Tampermonkey extension, it's still not official and there's a various user scripts that aren't cross compatible between Firefox and chrome simply because they use features exclusive to that browser engine. And as far as running user scripts on safari, this is literally the first time I've heard of such a thing, so if that is possible now, it's most likely that there are again some incompatibilities with the browser engine

§
Posted: 2015-11-13

Hi Katie,

I have very thoroughly checked Safari and there is quite simply NO other Extension or Userscript which blocks popups or Scripts at all.

I know for a fact that Block Popup is simply NOT working at all installed in Safari using Ninjakit as it will not function on any website.

I have indeed spent ages trying to get it to work in Safari, But alas it will Not function in this browser, So it does appear that there are indeed incompatibilities with the browser engine.

This is dismaying as it works perfectly installed in Firefox using GreaseMonkey.

Sign in to post a reply.